Lachlan Brown on Tue, 9 Oct 2001 22:43:01 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] the new big lie for the new great game

The apocalypse comes with good reviews, or not at all.

   I have not watched television at all during the
crisis since Sept 11th 2001. I saw enough of the
attack on the WTC to get the picture clearly however.

 I saw Tower 1 collapse on a grainy moniter of CTV
outside the American consulate after meeting with my
ex-spouse Janine Marchassault for coffee and a chat
about remarkable coincidences.

I saw enough on the moniter to get the picture.
The roving reporter said 'Holy Smokes.'

The implications of this 'event' seemed clear to me
 immediately and without wishing to sound trite,
 given the human tragedy of it all, (and I mean the
human tragedy of it All, including a generation of
American military adventure in the name of 'freedom')
 my immediate thoughts were this:

History has returned in a rather spectacular way,
as it tends to do.

Global Capital's self-representation is indeed
cracked.

This is the End of the American Century, we may
within the West, expect external and internal
reactions replaying in quick succession all of the
 contradicitions of that country (and its lackeys)
 in that century.

The process of Globalization reveals itself in sharp
 definition as uneven dialogue meaning different
 things to different people depending where they are
@. The permissions to access this dialogue and the
terms of the dialogue are now in rapid flux. Since
these global mediations (of knowledge and power)
are at stake Western media and military will be
 indistinguishable.

The 'age' of postmodernism becomes highly
differentiated. The experience of 'the Rest' in
modernity  (Doreen Massey has stressed how
what we in the West take to be postmodern
characteristics have in fact been the general
experience of people under The West) has
now become the experience of the West.
This experience will deepen, such events
will only become more familiar to the West.

There will be no safety in silence, no protection
in complicity with .powers that be・,
no safety or security in believing the new big lies
of the New Great Game.

Globally Nato will be at war with the United Nations.

Locally, in the West, deeply conservative tendencies
will be at war with progressive tendencies. Some of
these wars will be infra-personal.

I missed pornographic TV imagery of people crying
 for their lives, dying, falling. To be frank, I do not
wish to see such imagery. I missed media attempts
to describe and to represent the human dimension.
I missed all of the televisual work of media - I missed
the scopophilic humiliation of sitting in an armchair
or on a sofa while consuming such imagery,

Instead, I saw a line of stranded Americans at Toronto's
international airport so long that it ran down the vehicle
access ramp on to the approach highway. I was going to
fly to the UK on 12th September, I became stranded among
Western refugees.

I saw American refugees considering the ironies of
history. They were people from all cultures and
ethnicities going out of their way to be helpful
to one another, I did not see or hear any call for revenge.
I saw people who were glad to be alive, wanted merely
to go home and be at peace with themselves and with
the world.

Last night I watched American TV. I was amazed.
It is frantic. It is failing. It is quite mad. It does not
speak for anyone but itself. Media and the Military
 is making a last gasp effort to make the war and the
world appear remote. The New Big Lie.

 Instant nostalgia for global dominance was being
played out through grainy nighttime video pictures
of distant explosions. The exorcism of violence to
a place where it hardly matters, where the war does
not happen, anyplace will do.

A two page spread of the Toronto Star has photgraphs
of three Western leaders, Bush, Blair and Chretien,
with the text of their most recent speeches (white
male bonding fantasies of mastery and dominance
played out through their administration of international
war and murder) and a picture of 'arch-terrorist'
bin Laden, with quite modest complaint and plucky
defiance against the quite remarkable coalition of forces
gathered against him, personally.

This is all getting very silly. Its a bad novel, a B Movie,
a really awful multi-media arts event. Power looks

I read the reactions of intellectuals who appear all too
mindfulof the implications of current 'events'.
North Americans less so, but they are catching up
on the history that has caught up with them.

Yet I see minor points of theory being articulated
as if the Third World War presents an opportunity
for particular individuals to advance their careers,
or for particular positionalities to be advanced as
if the freedoms that permit their advance are likely
to survive if we don・t all work together
to stop this war.

Some appear quick to sacrifice whatever identity,
nationality, religion, .network of terror・
the US has targeted for retribution in its
production of war and reproduction of terror.
 George (the Beast) Bush makes it clear, however,
that Afghanistan .will not be enough・.

Now more than ever we need our thinkers. Thoughtful
intelligence does not necessarily mean 'taking a sabattical'
while stocking up with survivalist supplies. Thoughtful
and intelligent responses should already be well stocked up
and should now be delivered. Thinking and criticism as well
as media are going to have to quicken. We need global
consensus against the war and we need it to come quickly.

We have witnessed 'events', we have reacted in a number
of ways to these events, now we need analysis which
includes clear argument for the cessation of this war.
We have been getting some of this (see below) in
Nettime (unusually for what has, at times, been such a
techno-fascist bbs - Amsterdam has, it has to be said,
had its finer hours but it may be about to have one of its
finest), lets have more.

Let .stop the city・ become stop the war.

Stop the war.

Lachlan Brown
Toronto