Ivo Skoric on Fri, 5 Oct 2001 22:51:19 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: Drug policy

If you are going to run for Senate, remind me to give you my vote.
Are you related by any chance to former senator D'Amato, anyway?

Legalizing drugs, while from my perspective a no-brainer, won't
really happen because the 'moral majority' needs about another 50
years to understand that perspective.

I don't think the US will bomb poppy fields in Afghanistan -
precisely because that might help Taliban achieve higher price for
their already stockpiled heroin.

Rather, they might present themselves as one of the buyers of
heroin. Let's see - if US government buy heroin from Taliban using
marked money, than:
1) they are in control of heroin supply; they can destroy what they
have bought, driving price up, without any benefit to Taliban, while
reducing availability in the end market.
2) they can trace the whereabouts of money - Taliban would try to
buy ammunition, for example - so, the US government would know
which arms trader sold them the ammo, or whatever else.

On the other hand - Taliban may burn poppy fields themselves to
artificially raise the price of heroin now when they are in need of
cash. And they can acuse the US of doing so to solidify their
domestic support.

ivo