n ik on Fri, 5 Oct 2001 05:34:47 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> Violent Agreement

>Any more than it should
>surprise us that Negri's followers are battling in the streets against a
>doctrine that is nearly indistinguishable from their own, which shares both
>a political muse (Spinoza) and a publisher (Harvard) with fellow political
>mythmakers whom they would supposedly detest.  Have we already forgotten
>Georges Sorel, the "Marxist" who begat Mussolini?

this is a common mistake...theorists tend to belive that practice
follows from theory, when in fact, more often than not, those
engaging in practice want nothing to do with theory. They are
concerned with practicalities.

And no doubt there will be a chorus saying, "oh this theory -
practice distinction is old hat, and boring, and we don't belive it".
But no doubt it will come from theorists, and academics, all people
who have forgotten that it is only *in theory* that there is no
difference between theory and practice..in practice it is something
quite different. Organisation is a technical problem, abstractions
are used as temporary maps and tools...

about the same percentage of the population of the meshwork of
'anti-globalisation' protestors, networks, and organisations have
read (and agree with) Negri's work, as have the rest of the
population. in fact, probably less people in that meshwork have read
it proportionally speaking than the rest of the population. He is no
more a leader than any other actor in the game...
The meshwork of 'anti-globalisation' protestors, networks, and
organisations has no leader, no center, no representatives (so
consider this a personal missive) -  a movement without follows,
charging the barricades with doctrine in hand,...

the 'anti-globalisation' movement is the same as the body of people,
governments, corporations, supragovernmental organisations, etc
pushing globalisation? this would have to be a question of ends,
means and tactics surely, because there is no one doctrine that binds
the meshwork of 'anti-globalisation' protestors, networks, and
organisations together. And on that basis it is at best a confused
and foolish statement. A meshwork of locally based,
intercontinentially acting groups and organisations working
(generally speaking) in an anti-heriachical manner, towards a vision
of a world without gross inequity and alienation....how could this
possibly be compared to the push for globalisation - economic
imperialism writ large accross the globe?

nik