Nmherman on Wed, 3 Oct 2001 07:27:20 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> Homeland Security: The Untold Story

In a message dated 10/2/2001 8:14:51 PM Central Daylight Time,
ksnelson@subjectivity.com writes:

> For those who
>  have read Thucydides, are we Athens or Sparta?

Athens fell.  Whether we are Athens or Sparta depends on whether we fall.

I call this figure "The Second Syracuse," in honor of Bertolcht Brecht.

You see, the second defeat of Athens would be the defeat of the tragic cycle
itself.  If you consider public human society a living thing, then there is
no other conclusion.  The most basic survivability of democracy is in
question.

Best regards,

Max Herman