Harsh Kapoor on Wed, 3 Oct 2001 00:58:29 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Jameson & Rorty on recent events

London Review of Books
 From Volume 23 Number 19 | cover date 4 October 2001

Fredric Jameson
North Carolina
I have been reluctant to comment on the recent 'events' because the
event in question, as history, is incomplete and one can even say
that it has not yet fully happened.
Obviously there are immediate comments one can make, in particular on
the nauseating media reception, whose cheap pathos seemed
unconsciously dictated by a White House intent on smothering the
situation in sentiment in order to demonstrate the undemonstrable:
namely, that 'Americans are united as never before since Pearl
Harbor.' I suppose this means that they are united by the fear of
saying anything that contradicts this completely spurious media
consensus.
Historical events, however, are not punctual, but extend in a before
and after of time which only gradually reveal themselves. It has, to
be sure, been pointed out that the Americans created bin Laden during
the Cold War (and in particular during the Soviet war in
Afghanistan), and that this is therefore a textbook example of
dialectical reversal. But the seeds of the event are buried deeper
than that. They are to be found in the wholesale massacres of the
Left systematically encouraged and directed by the Americans in an
even earlier period. The physical extermination of the Iraqi and the
Indonesian Communist Parties, although now historically repressed and
forgotten, were crimes as abominable as any contemporary genocide. It
is, however, only now that the results are working their way out into
actuality, for the resultant absence of any Left alternative means
that popular revolt and resistance in the Third World have nowhere to
go but into religious and 'fundamentalist' forms.
As for the future, no one (presumably including our own Government)
has any idea what the promised and threatened 'war on terrorism'
might look like. But until we know that, we can have no satisfactory
picture of the 'events' we imagine to have taken place on a single
day in September. Despite this uncertainty, however, it is permitted
to feel that the future holds nothing good for either side.

=====

Richard Rorty
Virginia
As the historian David Kennedy has remarked, terrorism is different
from, and worse than, war. Wars have aims that might someday be
achieved, thus bringing about an end to hostilities, but terrorism
has no such aims. The object of terror is terror.
Still, our grandchildren will probably, for lack of a better term,
use 'war' to describe the threat hanging over them, the situation
that requires them to live in a garrison state: a nation in which
everybody is accustomed to people in uniform roaring in, closing down
buildings and public spaces, and arresting suspicious-looking people,
without advance warning. They will probably think that Oceania has
always been at war with Eastasia, and that it always will be. The
idea of war and peace as alternating states may seem as irrelevant as
Orwell suspected it might.
Most American intellectuals who spoke to the media about the
terrorist attacks wondered anxiously whether the West would be able
to put itself on a war footing without eroding the liberties of its
citizens - without endangering the right to privacy and the right to
dissent. Maybe Orwell's pessimism about this ability will turn out to
be justified. But maybe it will not. There were plenty of violations
of civil liberties in Britain and America during the two world wars,
but the institutions of constitutional democracy remained in place.
With luck, maybe we can hang onto them.
I cannot help thinking - though I greatly dislike the thought - that
the chances of doing so may be a bit better in Europe than in the US.
Jerry Falwell's suggestion that the terrorist attacks may be
attributable to God's anger at America's toleration of gays and
lesbians, and to the activities of the American Civil Liberties
Union, struck a chord in a sizable percentage of my fellow-citizens.
So I hope that Europe may set the US a good example by keeping civil
liberties intact, even if these murderous high-tech attacks become
more frequent, and take place in more and more countries.