Nmherman on Sat, 29 Sep 2001 00:45:32 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> Understand the Whispers by Rajeev Bhargava

In a message dated 9/28/2001 8:14:31 AM Central Daylight Time,
shuddha@sarai.net writes:

> However, this was not the only message sent by the perpetrators. Others are
>  revealed when we focus on our collective identities. These messages are
>  disturbingly ambivalent, morally fuzzy. They are less likely to sift good
>  from evil, more likely to divide than unite people across the world.
>
>  One such message which the poor, the powerless and the culturally
>  marginalised would like communicated to the rich, powerful and the
> culturally
>  dominant is this: we have grasped that any injustice done to us is erased
>  before it is seen or spoken about; that in the current international
social
>  order, we count for very little; our ways of life are hopelessly
>  marginalised, our lives utterly valueless.

I think this is a good post, nice for the World (which in victorian england
meant "those with Money," literally to let the others talk, express, decide.

Also, relevant in the context of Said, Rushdie, and on and on; unfortunately
the academy literally cannot handle this line of thought.  To do so would
mean massively dismantling itself and this is not considered useful or
productive.  The general public seems catatonic, and no one sincerely gives a
shit, incidentally, in this nation of the allegoricalness of academia.

But the people who go to the universities, they're great; the ones that work
there OK, up until Exxon owns it, then maybe not so nice.

Yours,

Max Herman