s-a-m = remote = on Fri, 28 Sep 2001 14:41:09 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Some notes from a tourist in 'Indonesia'

SOME NOTES FROM A TOURIST IN 'INDONESIA'
(by sam : un-edited)

THURSDAY SEPTEMBER 27, 2001

It is dusk time and prayers are coming out of the local mosque. I am in
Bukittinggi, in West Sumatra, Indonesia. Located in the mountains, this town is
configured for tourists, with many cafes and hotels catering to what tourists
are supposed to want.

But there aren't many tourists here. I ask one the people at the café I am at
why this is the case. He blames the WTC attacks and goes on to add "they are
sweeping for Americans in Java", pointing towards a copy of the Jakarta Post,
Indonesia's daily English newspaper.

Indonesia is a collection of over 13,000 islands. Java has the highest
concentration of people and  is the home to the largest cities including
Jakarta, which is country's capital. Sumatra is the 8th largest island in the
world and is located north-west of Java. To the north is Kalimantan and towards
the east are Sulawesi, Bali, East and West Timor and West Papua (Irian Jaya).
There is a huge variety of cultures and ways of life throughout Indonesia and
it is the world's largest Muslin country - a fact which may be well known to
the rest of the world by now.

The Jakarta Post edition here at the café is dated September 26 and its lead
story describes the "sweeping" that has been happening. According to the
article, militant groups in the Central Java town of Surakarta (also known as
Solo) searched the major hotels for Americans. Leaders of the town however
dismissed the groups as a minority and not representative of the overall
population. The article goes on to mention that there have been anti-US
protests in many cities around the country. These protests won't be encouraging
to foreigners or to the US  Government, and apparently the police have not
taken any serious actions to stop them claiming "in this era of democracy,
people are free to voice their opinions".

Another story on the front page says that Indonesia's top Islamic authority
condemns the September 11 attacks on the US but also "denounces what it termed
the arrogance of America for its planned aggression on Afghanistan". The
article goes on: the authority had said  the attacks on the US were "in
violation of Islamic values that underlined the need to forge love among human
beings and stressed humanity and peace." Indonesian President Megawati has also
warned President Bush not to attack any country in the pursuit of terrorists.

A few days ago I was in Aceh, North Sumatra. Travelling in to the capital Banda
Aceh from the airport, the taxi driver pointed out a group of soldiers walking
down the street. "They are sweeping", he commented.  For what I wanted to know -
 but I don't know the local language so it wasn't possible to get further
details. And it would have been inappropriate for a tourist to be too curious.

In Aceh, there is an armed struggle to become independent of Indonesia and in
recent years, many thousands of people have been killed. But moving around
Banda Aceh, it is hard to believe a guerilla-style war is being waged in that
region.

I asked an Acehnese I met what he thought of the situation in the region. "We
want it to be peaceful", he replied. He went on to say that the fighting should
be contained between the GAM (armed Free Aceh Movement) and the army - but the
GAM are not easily identifiable so a lot of people are killed. However, he said
he felt that Acehnese aren't being treated fairly by the Indonesian Government.
Aceh is very resource rich but a majority of the profits don't flow back to its
people.

There was a very strong sense of culture in Aceh and I found that its people
reminded me a lot of the East Timorese -  friendly, considerate and proud. The
Acehnese, like many throughout Indonesia are strict Muslims, though this does
not mean they are conservative, extremist or violent.  Maybe having a strong
framework of belief is important to absorb and adapt to change in a way which
is empowering rather than being overwhelmed and manipulated by it.

When I was heading back to the airport in Aceh to continue my travels, I got in
to a broken-English conversation with the taxi driver. After a few minutes, he
grinned at me and said "I think you are bin Laden". Not knowing how to respond,
I accused him back - "No, I think you are bin Laden". We both laughed.

Since I arrived in Indonesia a few days after the WMC attacks, there have been
rumors than Osama bin Laden is in Indonesia. Maybe he is, but either way, I
have a feeling that the US has already identified Islamic militant groups it
wants to disband.

When I was in Jakarta I asked people I came across what they thought of the
attacks in the US.  I was surprised with the open support many people
expressed. "Good good" they would say with their thumbs up, grinning defiantly.
Maybe their response was aimed at teasing me - but I did not sense much
emotional shock to what happened in New York. Indonesians are familiar with
conflict and live constantly under conditions are tension and violence. To the
people I spoke with, I sensed indifference, even a feeling that America had
this coming. Maybe for them, it is just another explosion where people are
killed. And just because it is in New York, why should it be so important. But
this is only my impression based on a few conversations during a very brief
period, and thorough research would be required to obtain a more conclusive
idea of the attitude of Indonesians towards the September 11 incident.

I wander what will happen if the US does attack Afghanistan or makes a
strategic attack on militant groups here in Indonesia. I doubt if there will be
much support here by the people and if things become violent, all Indonesians
will probably be stereotyped as Islamic extremists.

THURSDAY SEPTEMBER 28, 2001

Today's Jakarta Post reports that the US Government "has warned its citizens to
defer travel to Indonesia and allowed all its non essential personnel to leave
the country". The paper also reports that there has been a protest outside the
US Embassy involving 2000 people. The US flag and an effigy of George W Bush
labeled "The Big Bandit" was burnt.

There are many articles related to the attack on the US and most of them seem
to reinforce a view that it would be unwise for the US to attack Afghanistan.

The editorial in the paper however focuses on the Microsoft piracy case where a
the West Jakarta District Court has ordered "an Indonesian company to pay
Microsoft Corporation a sum total of US$4.4 million for installing Microsoft
software in computers it sold to consumers without a license. The editorial
goes on to suggest that "it certainly would help if Microsoft and other giant
enterprises like it could introduce special prices to make their products more
affordable to people in the developing world.

Here in Bukittinggi, children are heading home from school, laughing and
playing as they walk along the street. I don't think bin Laden, George W Bush
or Microsoft are on their minds.