josh zeidner on Sat, 22 Sep 2001 23:59:49 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] dangerous thinking

  This is dangerous thinking.  At what point do we
draw the line between "universal freedom" and
/belief/?  Do we have the right to tell them what
thier freedoms are and what thier restrictions are?
Even if we were to get to the point where we have full
jurisdiction over societies such as Afghanistan, is it
right to impose such ideas on a people who simply do
not want them, even though you justify it as some kind
of exorcism of "chauvanistic male dominance"?

  YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO EAT PORK.
  YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO PURCHASE AND PUBLISH
PORNOGRAPHIC MAGAZINES.
  YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO ACCUMULATE CAPITAL AT THE
EXPENSE OF THE ENVIRONMENT.
  YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO ANY FORM OF SEXUAL
GRATIFICATION.

  Do you suggest we fly over Afghanistan and drop
thousands of Camille Paglia books translated into
Arabic?

  Main Entry: chau·vin·ism
  1 : excessive or blind patriotism
  2 : undue partiality or attachment to a group or
place to which one belongs or has belonged

  Reread you post and tell me who is being chauvinist.

 -josh

From: mollybh@netspace.net.au
Subject: FUTURES AHEAD Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 10:54:18
+1000 (EST) One way out of the captialist cowboy
("wanted dead or alive") and the capitalist
religious-patriarchalrhetoric on "both sides" of the
global picture is to situate ourselves among the
oppressed women of the world as this is one common
denominator of both the west and the east which is an
outcome of male-dominated governing bodies - rogue or
proper - and upon situating ourselves among the
oppressed women of all nations, to rethink the
possible sets of futures we may have in terms of the
on-going international struggles by oppressed women
for human rights, dignity, personal freedom and
empowerment. With all our strength, we pose a mighty
alternative to chauvanistic male dominance in all its
destructive forms.