molly hankwitz on Sat, 22 Sep 2001 08:21:29 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Petition for Peace

Petition For Peace

What follows is a petition that will be forwarded to President Bush,
and other world leaders, urging them to avoid war as a response to the
terrorist attacks against the World Trade Center and the Pentagon
this week. Please read it, sign below, and forward the link to as many
people as
possible, as quickly as possible. We must circulate this quickly if it is
to have
any effect at all, as the Congress of The United States has already passed
a resolution supporting any military action President Bush deems
appropriate.
We, the undersigned, citizens and residents of the United States of
America and of countries around the world, appeal to the President
of The United States, George W. Bush; to the NATO Secretary General,
Lord Robertson; to the President of the European Union, Romano
Prodi; and to all leaders internationally to use moderation and
restraint in responding to the recent terrorist attacks against the
United States. We implore the powers that be to use, wherever
possible, international judicial institutions and international human
rights law
to bring to justice those responsible for the attacks, rather than the
instruments of war,
violence or destruction. Furthermore, we assert that the government of a nation
must be presumed separate and distinct from any terrorist group that
may operate within its borders, and therefore cannot be held unduly
accountable for the latter's crimes. It follows that the government
of a particular nation should not be condemned for the recent attack
without compelling evidence of its cooperation and complicity with those
individuals who actually committed the crimes in question.
Innocent civilians living within any nation that may be found
responsible, in part or in full, for the crimes recently perpetrated
against the United States, must not bear any responsibility for the
actions of their government, and must therefore be guaranteed safety
and immunity from any military or judicial action taken against the
state in which they reside.Lastly and most emphatically, we demand
that there be no recourse to nuclear, chemical or biological
weapons, or any weapons of indiscriminate destruction, and feel that
it is our inalienable human right to live in a world free of such arms.

To sign the petition go to:
http://home.uchicago.edu/~dhpicker/petition

mollyhankwitz
lecturer in video art and new media