Nmherman on Thu, 20 Sep 2001 04:27:10 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Fwd: RHIZOME_RAW: [petty art world bickering] Recent Events

> On Behalf Of Nmherman@AOL.COM
>
> A recent book on Hitler described his flaw as "Hubris,"
> the title of the book.  Bravery in combat (the foundation
> of warrior and heroic cultures) has had to be blended
> with imperialism, monotheism, feudalism, nationalism,
> industrialism, and now infocentralization.  The God
> America prays to is the God that rewards righteous
> battle:  against the British, ourselves, and Nazi Germany.

Very interesting post. I find it fascinating that this event has led to
a unusually large number of coherent and relevant posts from Mr. Herman.
I like it.

Max, maybe from now on you can add a little tag to your subject lines
indicating whether or not the content is something which makes sense or
not.

> A recent book on Hitler described his flaw as "Hubris," the
> title of the
> book.  Bravery in combat (the foundation of warrior and
> heroic cultures) has
> had to be blended with imperialism, monotheism, feudalism,
> nationalism,
> industrialism, and now infocentralization.  The God America
> prays to is the
> God that rewards righteous battle:  against the British,
> ourselves, and Nazi
> Germany.
>
> By refusing to accept the "nobility" of another's bravery we
> are taking an
> enormous responsibility on ourselves.  What is our nobility,
> over here, what
> are we without our faith in our own bravery?  I respect all
> of the humans who
> have died, almost all involuntarily, in war.  I value the escape from
> totalitarianism at mid-century.  I want to urge everyone to
> believe in
> themselves, so the cliche goes, through this whole mess.
>
> We cannot resign ourselves to mob rule.
>
> Best,
>
> Max Herman

+ once11 vs the pyramid