Ivo Skoric on Sun, 16 Sep 2001 22:36:26 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Those who lived

The WTC destruction took a heavy toll on Western world financial
domination. It took a heavy toll on American belief in their
superiority and invincibility. But the largest toll it took - it took on
the city of New York, or more precisely on the borough of
Manhattan. 1% of its inhabitants died in the event. That is the
equivalent of when a shell crashed in downtown Tuzla killing 72
young people. Almost everybody lost someone. And as in any war
there are people who are now refugees in their own city.

Use of passenger airplanes as weapons of mass destruction is
comparable to use of human shields in Balkan wars, and as such,
it should be deteremined as a crime against humanity.

On the scale of destruction and human suffering - in the single
morning in New York city more people was killed than in 78 days of
NATO's bombing of Yugoslavia - but far less than in the
comparably shorter bombing campaign over Iraq - this was a very
traumatic moment for New York, perhaps the most traumatic in its
history.

It also ended up with losing its landmarks - ok, they were not 4
centuries old like the Old Bridge in Mostar (which is now under
reconstruction, btw), but they were here for mere 30 years and
people got quite used to the - Planet Sushi, a Japanese restaurant
100 blocks north used the on their ads.

Everybody is apalled with the alleged mastermind behind the
attack: how did somebody, who inherited 80 millions at the age of
13, end up hating the rich world and desiring its demise? How did
he convince people to prepare themselves for years for this singular
act of dying?

Also, how many more groups prepared to do the same are still
around the world waiting for their chance?

Obviously, the U.S. would have to rethink a lot about its defense
policy and about its very way of life. The space shield is obviously
on the back-burner, now. But there are more profound elements
that aided terrorists in their plan, and that would be very hard to
change.

It seems that those whose actions would be characterized as
undesirable under the 'normal' circumstances, are at an advantage
in the chaotic circumstances. Those who were late for their jobs on
Tuesday, risked being fired, but they were more likely to survive
and not get hurt. Those who did not obey the urging to 'go back to
their desks', 'stay calm', and 'wait for the authorities', those who
yelled at the guards at the bottom of the WTC to open the doors,
which they kept shut to 'prevent the panic' - they lived, while those
who were respecting order and following instructions died together
with those authorities - 200+ firefighters - when they came to their
rescue. Those who sat back in their airplane seats waiting for the
terrorists to issue their ultimatum and for 'authorities' to negotiate
and get them out, they all died in their planes crashing at the
target. Those who fought the men with box-cutters - those also
died, but their plane missed the target by far.

We should not forget those examples, and, in our serch to mitigate
risks, we should not let laws replace our common sense, rules
replace our personal courage and trust in the authorities replace
the trust in ourselves. Because, that's exactly what the terrorists
count on and take advantage of.

ivo