Steven Meinking on Sat, 15 Sep 2001 12:46:05 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] RE: <nettime> Israel rushes to capitalise on terrorist attack

> I'd also like to note that in the
> many claims of "widespread" Palestinian rejoicing at the news of the
> attack, time and time again I only saw the same, identical, footage of
> the same 10 to 15 adults with about the same number of children. The
> only thing "widespread" about it was the airplay this solitary set of    >
images received.

I didn't see the same identical news footage. I saw more. I saw panning
footage of a square of mass celebration, at least hundreds. In addition to
what you mention, I saw footage of individuals rejoicing and passing out
food, women singing, children smiling, large groups chanting in unison.
There were also interviews of the celebrants, some of whom could speak
broken English. One interview, in particular, stands out; a young adult
male, smiling and rejoicing, stating that he was glad someone finally hurt
the U.S. and that "there should be more."

While I too am suspicious of Israeli motivations to send tanks and
bulldozers into Jericho today, there is no denying the fact that there is a
"widespread" anti-American sentiment among Palestinians, and that this
sentiment was expressed yesterday by many of the people through celebration.
And while I still will not celebrate or rejoice in the death of Palestinian
civilians, I also consider their cause and motivations to be suspicious, and
as a result of their reaction yesterday, will greet news of new Palestinian
casualties (like the three today) with indifference.

- Steven Meinking