Ivo Skoric on Fri, 14 Sep 2001 22:29:09 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: On Vengeance and the people of Afghanistan

Bin Laden had essentially drive himself into a hole. And I am not
sure that it is in the Taliban's best interest to continue to protect
him. Afghanistan was hit by retaliatory strikes after Bin Laden's
proteges set bombs off in the US embassies in Africa. The US
chose to play fair and not retaliate when USS Cole was hit -
because that was a military vessel and, in a war, it was a
legitimate target. Obviously, there is no way anybody would forgive
the mastermind of this tragedy. Retaliatory strikes would not do
this time, either. Bin Laden is needed alive and in court. Also, it
would be nice to have him around, so he can tell us how many
more groups of pilots live among us as silent neighbors and wait for
the commercial flights resume so they can hijack planes and
smash them in largely populated areas. I think that Taliban
understand very well that their best wager at the moment is to
capture and surrender Bin Laden peacefully. Couple of weeks ago
he probably had their main political opponent assasinated as an
act of good will, hoping that would assure him their continuous
protection. But I think he overstayed their welcome with this last
insanity. They are recognized by three countries in the world and
one of them - Saudi Arabia - wants Bin Laden dead. They border
with countries of former Soviet Union, which depend on Russia for
their survival, and Russia wants him dead, too - many mothers
there grieve their sons that were killed by Bin Laden mujahedeen.
They also border with Iran - that also wants Bin Laden dead,
because he was supporting the faction in Afghanistan that fought
against the Iran-sponsored mujahedeen. Escape to China is not an
option, either, because the last thing China needs, regardless of its
anti-U.S. rethoric, is an islamic fundamentalist zealot. And
Pakistan values its friendship with the US more than its friendship
with Bin Laden. So, it should be a no-brainer for Taliban. I've heard
that a friend of Garry Adams died in the WTC crash, too. Killing
fellow professionals is never a good way to stay in business. Bin
Laden's problem is that he has no friends left - everybody is
frightened and disgusted with the Sepetmeber 11 events. He
reminds me of the evil characters from James Bond movies - like
Spectra - the rich outsider who wants to blow up the world. I
thought that characters like that are confined to movies, comic
books and novels. Bin Laden, however, somehow crossed from the
toon-world to our world. But increasingly his only option to escape
is to launch himself into space like Dr. Evil.