gh on Fri, 14 Sep 2001 15:18:53 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Tribeca report

I live 8 blocks north of the world trade center.  My
view is south facing the towers.  I saw and
videtaped the whole thing.  Its a video I'd rather not
have.  The Friday previous to the attack I was at
the Trade center changing airplane tickets.  One
month ago I went up to the top with my
brother-in-law, his teenage daughter and his wife.
My Street Harrison Street is being used as a
major staging area for the clean-up and rescue
operations.  Yesterday they were cleaning
asbestos off emergency vehicles.  The police
have barricaded the cross street in lower
Manhattan. You have show a photon identification
to go back to your home.  Twice when I tried to go
through a barricade to get to my home I was
turned away by a cop even though I had proper ID.
We have no subway service. The grocery stores &
restaurants are all closed.  My car is parked on a
pier below 14th street on the river.  I don't know
whether they'll let me get it.  We are all in shock
here.  I walked my wife up to a working subway
station in the village at 6th ave & Bleecker. The
whole of 6th ave was lined with hundreds of dump
trucks coming from New Jersey. They were
pointed downtown ready to clear the debris. The
street was lined with people who applauded and
cheered on the men driving the trucks.

FREE Personalized E-mail at Mail.com
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup