geert lovink on Fri, 14 Sep 2001 00:26:06 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] geertogram II

1. cnet.news.com
SEC's tech investigations may suffer

2. Industry Standard's Media Grok
Finding Words When There Are None

3. Chaos Computer Club (via rohrpost)
CCC spricht sich gegen Angriffe auf Kommunikationssysteme aus

4. ATTAC France
After the tragic events in New York and Washington

5. Indymedia Newswire
CNN USING 1991 FOOTAGE of celebrating Palistinians

---

1. SEC's tech investigations may suffer

A major field office of the Securities and Exchange Commission
was destroyed in Tuesday's attack on the World Trade Center, possibly
creating serious problems for ongoing investigations of technology
companies. The Northeast Regional Office was located at 7 World
Trade Center, which collapsed Tuesday after hijacked airplanes
destroyed the center's two skyscrapers.
Visit: http://one.digital.cnet.com/cgi-bin11/flo?y=eCXT0DSTOE0EL0u1Y0AT

---

2. TOP GROKS
~~~~~~~~~

Finding Words When There Are None

Headlines were brief. "Apocalypse," "Act of War" and "Nightmare,"
Slate writer John Lahr recounted reading. The reason was simple, he
said: "There's no need for words, really; there's nothing to say."

Stranded in the netherworld between the official death toll of 94 and
the 11,000-plus body bags that New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani has
acknowledged ordering, reporters filled the void with, among other
focuses, dispatches on the business toll. "Companies need to get back
to normal because that's therapeutic," an employee-relations expert
told ABCNews.com.

But normalcy was not to be found. The Wall Street Journal reported
companies' struggle to locate the scattered programmers, system
administrators and execs who keep the backup computer systems running.
The destruction of a 47-story building adjacent to the World Trade
Center is likely to set back probes by the Securities and Exchange
Commission, which had its New York City field office there, several
outlets reported. All SEC staff members had been evacuated safely.

The New York Times mournfully reported Wall Street's losses, including
coverage of Risk Waters Group, a tech conference sponsor that had
expected 180 attendees at Windows on the World, the restaurant that
had topped one of the World Trade Center towers. The company was
trying to determine the attendees' fates, the Times wrote. "But it had
no good news to offer."

Nor did Morgan Stanley Dean Witter, which had more people in the World
Trade Center than anyone else. The media widely reported CEO Philip
Purcell's memo that a "vast majority" of the firm's 3,500 employees
were accounted for. The Times eyed Purcell's bright outlook with a
compassionate skepticism, reporting that the firm declined to say how
many were believed to have died, and quoting from Purcell's Wednesday
address to employees, where the chief exec sounded less optimistic.
"It is not a good story," he told employees.

But corporate generosity is. The Associated Press reported that
General Electric pledged $10 million for the families of New York
firefighters, police officers and rescue workers who died trying to
help victims. Cisco Systems donated $6 million to the Red Cross and
other relief groups. Amazon is collecting funds online for the
American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund. Reuters reported that a
counter on the donation page showed that 25,365 people had donated
nearly $670,000 as of Wednesday afternoon.

Amid the sea of hard-won words, Grok's thoughts kept returning to
those of CNN anchor Aaron Brown, who told the Los Angeles Times that
after watching the replay of the first plane crashing into the World
Trade Center tower hundreds of times, "I can't shake the image. I
finally sat in a hotel room at about 2 a.m., and I cried. I just
cried. I didn't like being alone with this story." - Deborah Asbrand

NYC requests 6,000 body bags (AP)
http://web.realcities.com/content/rc/news/attack/bayarea/1956245014.htm

The Breakfast Table
http://slate.msn.com/code/breakfast/breakfast.asp?Show=9/12/2001&idMessage=8
275&idBio=288#8275

Coping With Disaster
http://abcnews.go.com/sections/business/DailyNews/WTC_company_terror010912.h
tml

Recovery of Records Daunting, But Doable
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-0109130289sep13.story?coll=chi%2D
business%2Dhed

Traders Deal With Losses of the Most Painful Kind
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/13/business/13WALL.html
(Registration required.)

Tragedy Seems Even Greater for One Firm
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/13/business/13CANT.html
(Registration required.)

Corporations Rush to Secure Data; Finding Techies Becomes Key Step
http://interactive.wsj.com/articles/SB1000336758447443683.htm
(Paid subscription required.)

Manhattan Telecom Network Was Severely Damaged in Attack
http://interactive.wsj.com/articles/SB100033638685913041.htm
(Paid subscription required.)

Insurers' Loss Estimate Soars Above $20 Billion
http://interactive.wsj.com/articles/SB1000318571374746346.htm
(Paid subscription required.)

Corporations pledge millions to help victims' families (AP)
http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/09/12/attacks.donations.ap/index.html

Net offers lifeline amid tragedy
http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-7132246.html

Make a Difference on the Net (Reuters)
http://more.abcnews.go.com/sections/scitech/DailyNews/wtc_onlinecontribution
s010912.html

AccessLine Offers Free Virtual PBX Services
http://www.informationweek.com/story/IWK20010912S0006

Tragedy Spurs Corporate Altruism in Web Marketers, E-Tailers
http://www.internetnews.com/IAR/article/0,,12_883121,00.html

Help Sites Spring Up In Wake Of WTC Assaults - Update
http://www.newsbytes.com/news/01/170016.html

Survivor Databases Offered by NY.com and Prodigy
http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article/0,,3_882651,00.html

Overwhelming Coverage
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-091301-media.story

ISPs Join the Search

It's a growing question among those calm enough to philosophize: How
should the U.S. respond to these events without trampling on personal
liberties? For instance, the feds have asked for Internet service
providers' help in the search for the Sept. 11 culprits, though
reports vary about how much help.

Declan McCullagh from Wired reported that the FBI has increased
Internet surveillance in the wake of the attacks. One anonymous
employee said the FBI showed up at his workplace (which he declined to
name) "with a couple of Carnivores, requesting permission to place
them in our core, along with offers to actually pay for circuits and
costs." Carnivore - now renamed DCS1000, a moniker that hasn't exactly
caught on - is a Fed computer that can monitor electronic
communications from an ISP's network, explained McCullagh.

News.com talked to AOL and Earthlink, who said that they were working
with the FBI but that Carnivore was not involved. The investigators
want specific information, said an AOL spokesman, and Carnivore isn't
necessary because AOL can simply turn over the relevant data. An
Earthlink vice president said the company had been served with a
warrant under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA).
According to reporter Robert Lemos, "FISA limits the ability of
intelligence and law enforcement agencies ... from spying on the
American public." An anonymous Earthlink exec told the AP that the
feds were looking for logs involving a particular e-mail address (not
an Earthlink address).

Microsoft had no comment except to say that it often works with law
enforcement officials. An ExciteAtHome spokesperson didn't know of any
warrants, said the AP, but said the company would go along. Wired
reported that Hotmail officials have been getting calls from the FBI
and are cooperating with requests for information about certain e-mail
accounts. Some small West Coast providers, maybe the same ones Wired
talked to, told the Washington Post that they agreed to let the FBI
bring in Carnivore.

"Like other Internet providers, (AOL and Earthlink) have generally
greeted subpoenas, court orders and the like seeking information about
their customers begrudgingly," said the Post. "The language they used
yesterday was markedly more receptive." Maybe because of FISA's
limitations? On the other hand, "some observers have already raised
concerns that the failure of the intelligence agencies to uncover the
plots will lead them to ask for increased surveillance powers," said
the Register. We're normally loath to quote senators on tech issues,
but Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., may have the right compromise: Consider
strengthening surveillance capabilities, but don't do anything that's
not "consistent with constitutional freedoms at the core of our
national ideals."

One anonymous ISP employee made another compromise we like. "As much
as I don't like the intrusive nature of online surveillance
technology, I really want to find the guys who did this." - Jen
Muehlbauer

Anti-Attack Feds Push Carnivore

Terrorist search leads to ISPs
http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-7141812.html

FBI following digital trail of terrorists (AP)
http://www.usatoday.com/life/cyber/tech/2001/09/12/internet-fbi-attacks.htm

ISPs join forces with FBI to track terrorists
http://www.silicon.com/bin/bladerunner?30REQEVENT=&REQAUTH=21046&14001REQSUB
=REQINT1=47361

FBI steps up Net surveillance, following terror attack

Privacy Trade-Offs Reassessed
http://a188.g.akamaitech.net/f/188/920/15m/www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/art
icles/A21207-2001Sep12.html

MORE NEWS AT THESTANDARD.COM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Internet Offers Lifeline During Crisis
http://www.thestandard.com/article/0,1902,28959,00.html?nl=mg

Sun Microsystems Director Perishes in Crash
http://www.thestandard.com/article/0,1902,28962,00.html?nl=mg

Markets Won't Open Before Friday
http://www.thestandard.com/article/0,1902,28960,00.html?nl=mg

Netegrity Says CFO Killed in Crash
http://www.thestandard.com/article/0,1902,28957,00.html?nl=mg

MORE LINKS
~~~~~~~~~~
X10.com Suspends Annoying Web Ads In Wake Of Today's Attacks
http://www.newsbytes.com/news/01/169987.html

Updates from WTC-based companies
http://cbs.marketwatch.com/news/story.asp?guid=%7BA2F9D59D%2DBB3B%2D4F40%2D8
4E9%2DA7F369E9A2DB%7D

Cell-Phone Calls Offer Clues About Flight 93 Hijacking
http://www.newsbytes.com/news/01/170039.html

Recounting a Nightmare Day on Wall Street
http://www.thestreet.com/funds/editorsdesk/10001022.html

Netegrity CFO, Thoratec COO die in WTC attack (Reuters)
http://www.siliconvalley.com/docs/hottopics/attack/009205.htm

Lisa J. Raines, a Lobbyist for Biotechnology, Is Dead at 42
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/13/obituaries/13RAIN.html
(Registration required.)

The Day I Didn't Die
http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/sep2001/nf20010912_4269.htm

N.Y. Assault hits home to the financial press
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2001/09/12/BU142740.DTL

What's Next?
http://www.fortune.com/indexw.jhtml?channel=artcol.jhtml&doc_id=204144

STAFF
~~~~~
Written by Deborah Asbrand (dasbrand@world.std.com), Michaela
Cavallaro (mcavalla@maine.rr.com), Keith Dawson (dawson@world.std.com),
Jen Muehlbauer (jen@englishmajor.com) and David Sims
(davesims@sonic.net).

Copyedited and produced by Jim Duffy (jimduffy86@yahoo.com).

Edited by Jimmy Guterman (guterman@vineyard.com).

Media Grok is produced by The Vineyard Group Inc., for Standard Media
International. For more information on Media Grok, please visit
http://guterman.com.

---