FrodeauxB on Thu, 6 Sep 2001 00:26:47 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> It's the law!-Or is it the money?

When one traffics in the idealistic, one is outside the mainstream. The facts
of the matter is that relative few believe as you do, and even fewer act that
way. It is not that simple. To speculate that you would act in a life
threatening situation in a way which is not self defensive and driven by the
instinct to survive is just that-speculation. To aspire is necessary-to be
practical is another. Even now you, I, we, aren't acting so idealistic. The
key is not to spend the energy speculating or criticizing. The key is to act
within the framework to change the framework. If one desires to bring about
meaningful change, one does so by acting the way one believes, and not by
critiquing others. Honestly, this bit about the drinking age and speed limits
suppressing freedom is silly. These are not the issues nor do I believe they
are even a microcosm of the issues. They are diversions, nothing more. What
you seek is license, not freedom. I guess we must agree to disagree.
Here is the issue:
Now, if I may paraphrase what you're generally
saying, the bourgeois mock-heroic shenanigans, as you
call them, of bored rich men floating around the world in
hot air balloons, of our extreme interest in extreme sports,
our obsession with face-lifted, liposucked, and tummy-tucked
celebrities of mediocre talent, our deranged focus on the
sexual peccadilloes of elected leaders, are all examples of
the funneling of our will to power into trivial pursuits and
away from genuine heroism, exemplified by the likes of Julius
Caesar, Napoleon, and Fred Nietzsche.
Oprah/Nietzsche (James M. Crotty)
http://www.disinfo.com/pages/article/id1548/pg1/

Sincerely,