Pam Sykes on Sat, 1 Sep 2001 13:45:32 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] RE: <nettime> Riots Inc.!

The WSJ artice was dumb, but just because she's right-wing (a term I use
with considerable misgivings -- "left" and "right" have long since ceased to
have any coherent global meaning) don't assume she's wrong about everything.
DDT may be bad for you, but malaria is a great deal worse. Even at the
height of DDT's cavalier over-use as an agricultural chemical by
developed-world farmers, it never came close to killing a million people a
year. Malaria does. It's also a major contributor to poverty in large parts
of southern and east Africa, because it's hard for sick people to go to work
or tend their crops. DDT, unfortunately, is still the cheapest, most
effective way to control malaria in those parts of the world where it has
its most horrific impact. Until an equally cheap, effective alternative is
found, allowing limited use of DDT -- as last year's international treaty on
persistent organic pollutants does -- is by far the lesser of two evils.

> * This is kinda some handy information, too!  Look
> how busy this Okonski person has been!   She must be
> hankering to be the right-wing Naomi Klein...  Here's
> her little site in London, which is all about how DDT is
> good for you and why Britain should have trusted the
> Tories on the mad-cow problem.

Pam Sykes
Tel  +27 21 426 5191   |
Fax  +27 21 423 6633   |  PO Box 15794