Florian Cramer on Mon, 27 Aug 2001 19:16:51 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> Why artists should be using Ogg Vorbis (instead of mp3)

Am Mon, 27.Aug.2001 um 17:27:10 +0200 schrieb Heiko Recktenwald:

> Yeah, this is my point. They are bluffing.
>
> They "own" the technology but only when it comes to selling programms.

No, when it comes to selling services (like streaming) and content. A
much more profitable scheme. Websites like mp3.com, manufacturers of
hardware mp3 players etc. all pay royalities to Fraunhofer/Thomson. It
would be interesting to hear whether the companies who developed other
proprietary audio codecs (like WMA, LiquidAudio, RealAudio, AC3) also
pay Fraunhofer/Thomson for crossing their patents and "IP".

> Bluff, bluff, bluff, same story like etoy and etoys or Leonardo.

No, because - unlike etoy and Leonardo -, there is no chance that your
patent-/intellectual propetry-infringing use of mp3 holds up on court.
Their license itself is not a bluff. You run the permanent risk of being
sued. Fraunhofer/Thomson might not be overly eager suing people who
infringe their licenses right now, but that might change any time.
There are companies like Rambus who as a matter of fact base their
revenue stream on patents, "intellectual property" and suing other
parties who supposedly infringe it.

> However it is in detail, encoders are not content. Reminds of
> Microsofts whining over "illegal DivX movies"...The movies may be made
> with an illegal programm but they are perfectly legal.

Not, afaik,  under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act in the U.S. (as
far as they involve "circumvention" devices).

> Does the OGG Vobis player display mp3 too ? Does it display m3u filelists?
> Netscape, Edit, Preferences, Navigator, Applications, thats where the
> music happens.

On Windows, you simply install the Ogg Vorbis codec as a plugin for
WinAMP. No new player software needed.

Florian

--
http://userpage.fu-berlin.de/~cantsin/homepage/