Michael Gurstein on Mon, 20 Aug 2001 16:22:27 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> bomboclat: netstrike communicate

This scam has been around for quite a long time.

I first received one of these in an air mail letter from Nigeria in about
1984.

At the time I was curious and checked it out with a friend who had been with
the Canadian Embassy in Lagos and he mentioned that it was well known even
then, in Embassy circles, and he told stories of the unwary following up by
visiting Nigeria and being robbed of their passports (and occasionally their
lives) even on the trip from the airport.

I concluded from the address on the letters I received that the "perps" had
picked up a bunch of advertising brochures in the Canadian Embassy and were
blanket mailing to all the folks whose mailing addresses were listed.

The scam was structured in exactly the same was as the one's I'm now getting
on email--including the curious diction and the creation of a story-line
that is both plausible (what we guess is happening in notably corrupt
countries like Nigeria) and bizarre (getting this kind of invitation out of
the blue).

Mike Gurstein