Laurent Oget on Wed, 1 Aug 2001 17:47:45 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> empire (cracked)

On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 07:45:37PM +0200, sebastian@textz.com wrote:
>          geert@xs4all.nl wrote:
>          > could you perhaps post something to nettime if it's possible
>          > to crack a pdf file? i have no idea. did people try to do
>          > this?
>
>          loget@zvolve.com wrote:
>          > This is the encryption scheme for the breaking of which the
>          > FBI recently arrested a russian coder who came to las vegas to
>          > expose his findings. Last time i checked their software was
>          > only for windows ... who will free Empire?
>
>          in fact it *is* possible to crack a pdf. the recently arrested
>          dmitry sklyarov (and andy malyshev, to give full credits) have
>          written an "advanced pdf password recovery" (apdfpr) tool
>          (released by the moscow-based elcomsoft.com) that decrypts
>          protected pdfs. the free trial version will only decrypt a small
>          part of any document, so you can either register for $30 (which
>          seems appropriate to me) or try to crack apdfpr itself (google

i had the feeling they were  collecting the $ through a US company who
discontinued the collaboration after the arrest..i might be wrong

>          is a good point to start, but it may take an hour or two...)

well i won't  ask how you did. my  hope was to be able  to find enough
information in the slides  from defcon, which are available somewhere,
to decrypt the pdf, but since someone already did it...

>          cracked empire pdf:
>          http://excess4all.com/empire
>
>          raw ascii version:
>          http://textz.gnutenberg.net