*the girlfish* on Sat, 21 Jul 2001 08:22:04 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] genua :: his name is Carlo Giulliani

from http://italy.indymedia.org

Now it's a turning point!!!
by Flaco 3:49am Sat Jul 21 '01 (Modified on 7:42am Sat Jul 21 '01)
antidote@ukf.net

Italy's police sent 23 year old Carlo Giulliani to his grave tonight.
Surely, it is time to make some changes. The power is in the hands of
the wrong people.

A Turning Point. A call for global General Strike

For decades - from Asia to Africa, Latin America and beyond, families
have been burying fathers, sisters and first born sons for physically
confronting the forces of capitalism. But today spells something
different. For the first time, the global elite has begun to kill the
children of its own people.

Seattle may have been a watershed, but today in Genoa is a turning point
for the anti-capitalist movement. How we play it from here will have
repercussions far beyond the streets of Northern Italy. It was no freak
overeaction, or worst case scenario, that left one mother mourning and
another preparing to, as the sun hit the sea tonight

 The snowball that has been gaining weight and speed as it rolled from
Geneva to Prague to Gothenburg has become far too thorny a spike in the
side of those steering the planetary carve up. So bullets meet brains -
and young people are shot dead for daring to think there can be another
way.

The message from the world?s authorities is clear: go back to your
homes, do not meddle in what does not concern you - because if you do we
will kill you.

 From every government in the G8 hideout, the desired outcome is the
same: that the western world?s young-blood upstarts will return to
smoking dope and stealing traffic cones and leave the intricasies of
global economics alone. Dissent, they say, will no longer be tolerated.
The whip of economic dictatorship is finally cracking at home.

But where we go from here is yet undecided. Bush, Berlusconi and their
cronies, want us to crawl back to our workplaces, to the fear of
unemployment and to the gratitude for an irregular playtime. But we can
say no. We can say: you?ve gone too far. We can say: we do not care how
well protected you are with your armies, your police, your banks or your
brands, because we have had enough. You cannot shoot us down in the
street and expect us to walk away.

>From everyone who walked away from the streets of Genoa today, and from
our brother Carlo Giulliani who was gunned down for caring too much, the
call is going out to the workers, the players and the carers of the
world: the time has come to say: Ya Basta!. Enough is Enough. On Monday
the workers of Italy are threatening to embark on a general strike in
defiance of a global elite who think they can kill those who will not
tow the party line.

And, the call is going out from Genoa to the people of every country on
this planet. Join us, and down tools in solidarity with Carlo and and
the millions who died alongside him, and demand that we finally set this
planet on the road to a genuine, inclusive democracy. Let the message go
out to the world?s would be leaders that when they pulled the trigger,
they signed their own death warrant.

Genoa

July 20 2001