Denis Ramboux (by way of richard barbrook) on Mon, 9 Jul 2001 02:10:25 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] C R I S I S W E B N E W S - New ICG Briefing on Serbia - implications of Milosevic's transfer to The Hague

C R I S I S W E B   N E W S
---------------------------
Friday, 6 July 2001

Serbia
----------------------------
Milosevic in the Hague: What it Means for Yugoslavia and the Region

Slobodan Milosevic's appearance before the International Criminal Tribunal
in The Hague this week was an historic and cathartic moment for the Western
Balkans. But this momentous event has also exposed the deep structural
problems of the Yugoslav Federation and in the short term has precipitated
the sense of crisis rather than ending it. Already the government of the
Federal Republic of Yugoslavia (FRY) has collapsed, and the ruling
Democratic Opposition of Serbia (DOS) coalition is so divided and
traumatised that it may not survive. FRY President Vojislav Kostunica is
trying to form a new federal government, but this may be impossible without
new elections, the results of which are highly uncertain. In this context,
ICG notes a striking development - the growth of pro-independence sentiment
among Serbs themselves. The need to reshape the Yugoslav federation has
never been more urgent.

--> Please see www.crisisweb.org <http://www.crisisweb.org> for the full
report.

leave[space]icgbalkans-news[space]<youremailaddress>.