Content-Wire.com on Sun, 20 May 2001 23:26:37 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] now I understand the museum thing

Message text written by INTERNET:baseekins@netscape.net

>The fact that our society uses its systems of media and education to
degrade the capacity for genius in the overwhelming >majority of people is
ultimately every bit as disgraceful as the fact that our economic system is
dependent upon a certain >percentage of people being destitute.

I was just thinking about what I said, that it is worth to pour our genius
into our daily lives and daily jobs
and realised after I sent the message that there is a problem there
They do not let the genius flow into daily lives and daily jobs, cause they
force individuals
to be be sterlile or conformists to participate in society. That's a
problem. Because they segregate the
genius onto limelit stages where people can perform their acts and be
applauded - if society has decided that
they are to gain consensus and worked that approval into their system - but
if a genius wants to perform
their act as part of their daily lives then they are derided, bufoons like.
Yes, major distortion there.

>The quick answer of course would be for everybody to stop participating in
corrupt institutions like museums. There are a couple >of obstacles to
that, though. "Educatated people" love to visit the museum because it makes
them smarter than the people who >go watch a pro hockey game. Artists dream
of being in the museums because it will "prove" that they are real, better
than most >of their peers, etcetera.

Sure, but its not just museums. I saw this posting going around saying
bohicott museums and it did not
make much sense as such. The I thought if its the same Brian Carrol that I
met who posted it then its normal.
Brian is that you? Taking realslides at the Worldtradecenter last year? You
are so wild

Then the problem is with anything, and yes while I agree with you that some
exhibitions are self celebratory,
well most are, everynowand then there is something fantastic out there.
Last exibition that I saw that was
mind blowing was amish kapoor, heard of the guy? I really liked that.

Yes, real artists will not let themselves be bought, rather burn the work
and spread the ashes than
giving perl to pigs. So it may be infered that most of what we see via the
official channels is the result
of prostitution of some kind.

But how pure can you become, and stay? Sometimes being mundane and mingle
with a corrupt
world may serve a higher purpose, hope you agree. If anything, just be
there to say ' I dont think so'

pdm

Paola Di Maio
Managing  Editor