Nmherman on Sun, 13 May 2001 22:11:18 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Millennium Hut Collaboration

In a message dated 5/13/2001 3:15:44 AM Central Daylight Time,
derin@lovelink.co.jp writes:

> Subj:  Re: <nettime> [photongraph]and other projects
>  Date:    5/13/2001 3:15:44 AM Central Daylight Time
>  From:    derin@lovelink.co.jp (hidenori watanave)
>  To:  Nmherman@aol.com
>
>  hello,
>
>  thank you for your mail,
>  and i saw your 2 images of "the millenium hut".
>  i want to realize or visualize the images of space...

The best thing for me right now is an impressive web version.  I work as the
copy-machine operator at a major architect firm in MN, Hammel Green Abramson.
 I had the idea for the Hut for awhile, and just wanted to be sure to get it
out before the end of 2000 in crude form.  I knew Ralph Rapson as a child
because he lives near me and we sold him a puppy (true) and I delivered the
newpaper to his house.  He is by far the most admired architect ever from
Minnesota.

One of the hot young architects at HGA came down to the copy room one day to
make copies of his sketchbook of European buildings which he made during his
fellowship paid for by the Rapson Award, given annually to a top young
Minnesota architect.  While I was making the copies for him I noticed his
sketch of the Millennium Wheel and mentioned my Millennium Hut, which was
already done.  I told him I was going to give it to Rapson because I knew him
as a kid.  He, the young architect from HGA named Bill Blanski, said he was
having lunch that Friday with Rapson to show him his sketchbook and would
discuss the Hut with Ralph if I got them both a print of the Hut
(kempfhut.JPG) in time, which luckily I did.

They discussed it.  Blanski said "It's a political design.  But all good
architecture is political."  This is a huge compliment and step up because
Blanski is known to be very intolerant of nonsense.

Blanski said the only problem was "my drawing stinks," though he didn't know
one of the drawings (the nice one) was by a young architect in the
engineering department, Lance Kempf whom I had made the acquaintance of.
Blanski said I needed better images, "more seductive and professional."  The
clear implication is that the Hut is publishable and serious.  He asks me
about it periodically.  I have inquired about more drawings but Lance is
overworked; I have also looked into getting a wooden model but they cost 3-5
thousand.

In contrast to the Dome and the Wheel, the Hut is cross-cultural and
low-cost.  The halls are static and simple, replacing the $200 million motion
of the Wheel and the Billion dollar hubris of the Dome.  The halls contain 20
monitors, alternating with open doorways, and the content on the monitors is
web-based.

Selecting the content is a tricky issue not yet fully decided by me.  Part of
the content will be selected by whomever builds the hut in virtual or real
space.  Part will be selected by me and the Genius 2000 Network of
contributors.  Part may be selected by those who fund the construction, or by
some other possible random method.  I prefer to minimize financial or
conceptual assistance from any large corporation (like Home Depot, Intel, or
Sony).

Ideally the material on the monitors will be static, i.e. not open-ended net
hookups.  We will need server space to host the selected content and route it
to the Hut.  Physical Huts (actual structures of wood in real space) will
have no audio but web versions can have audio.

Web versions do not necessarily need to be literalist, like the Walker
Sculpture Garden virtual space.  In fact I would like them to be unusual and
unpredictable.  If you do choose to do a web version, please use your own
discretion.  The first web version will receive lots of promotion and
hopefully lead to print publication, perhaps in a major magazine.

The real component of the Hut--its constructibility in wood and other simple
materials--need not be realized immediately, nor should it be seen as the
best or ultimately essential form of the Hut.  However, the built structure
is integral to the meaning of the piece as a whole.  Even if not physically
built until 2010, the buildability is essential.

As for architectural relvance, I think it relates to James Wines'
"De-Architecture" and SITE projects; all ancient and renaissance domed
structures; indiginous structures such as the Native American hogan; and
1930's USA public works buildings.

Hope this helps.  Make no mistake, this is a serious project.  I invite you
to consult with anyone in the net community on the seriousness of my work in
general.  I have a Master's in English Lit. and Theory from Syracuse
University and extremely high GRE scores, as well as many net credits.

I appreciate your interest and will consider your offer to assist serious
until you tell me otherwise.  Time is short but not super-short.  Thus far
the design belongs only to myself and Mr. Kempf, so if you were to develop it
further you would be the third person listed in the project credits if
publication does occur.  Ideally publication will not require more than three
collaborators, so if you feel you can fullfill some significant amount of
this continuing design no further designers will be needed.  Of course if you
work with a team they will be mentioned as your support staff.

Thank you again for your interest.  You may wish to verify my facts by
searching for Ralph Rapson on the internet as well as Bill Blanski, Hammel
Green Abramson, and the Rapson Fellowship for 2000.

Best regards,

Max Herman
http://www.geocities.com/genius-2000