Content-Wire.com on Sat, 12 May 2001 14:36:43 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] <nettime> Theory for pragmatists.

Brian,

Thanks for reading my posting.

Reading it retrospectively  it really sounds utopistic and so naive.

Well, I always wanted to live in dreamland, and now it feels like I am
getting closer.
Cant be far now.

Dont ask me why, maybe I am coming closer to death, or all those yoga
excercises and substances taken during  last few
 years have started having an effect and my body has started producing
proprietory chemicals
 and I feel kind of high all the time. Nice but  my ability to concentrate
on dense intellectual byproducts is
diminishing, and it is now limited to a few paragraphs at the most

. After which my attention span fades, and concentration hops
off to the very things the discourse calls upon...into other trains of
thoughts. Maybe I should do some of
those concentration excercises again. Maybe its just part of my  aging
process.

I read Alan' piece and other pieces line Bruces and Brians' and get
fascinated and think I used to be able to think like that once
now I think in small packets, cant  even read it all in one go, and never
have time to go back to it because I trying to surft the
wave which is always in motion.

I have not lived in Italy for the past twleve years, I have travelled
around the world and settled in the Uk countryside for the moment
but I do want to go back to Italy one day, perhaps when I shall be able to
claim a small piece of sovreignty
that all citizens are entitled to and say this is my country too. Not quite
yet, cause of the bullshit they spread everywhere everyday.

I don't know how we are going to do it. I don't know how we can manage to
change the institutions.
I guess not giving in to the temptation of blowing them up is the first
step. I guess asking them to honor the
principles that they were instituted to serve, is the next. I guess
stressing that they are acting outside their own legality
of the system that they should be represening is the following.

It takes out of the box thinking to see whats in the box. I am trying to
see if there is anything worth being defended.
I want to believe that the institutions should serve the citizens
individual rights given to them by the constitution, everything else is
abuse. I belive in the constitution because it is the only thing that I
have that tells me
'you are a citizen, and you ve got the right to live, work think speak what
the hell you want'
I know I know that that there are violation and abuses and it should not be
necessary to have a piece of paper to say that
but look at the worlds history. it's either the law of the jungle -
strongest rules - or a democratic constitution

Man I am going to hang on to that piece of paper. Scrap that, and every
person is for themselves.
I dont want to handle guns, I do not want to have to carry a guy in the
street to defend myself for personal or institutional abuse.
I want to have civil rights and that should keep me quiet.

This is why, as  a free thinking individual who treasure freedom of thought
and speech highest values
above all, I must trust in the constitution and defend it.

I kick the arse of those inepts who sit on the constitution - all public
offices carry the seal of the republic above
every entrance door - and they dont defend it. Those institutions are not
legal, the constitution is.

Any citizen can constitute  themselves 'parte civile' and take legal action
if they have a good case. Now I have not
brushed up on my  law course (but can still hear the professor voices
echoing in my memory:..do study the law...)
 There must be jurisprudence, there must be laws.
Otherwise Italy is not a 'state of right' stato di diritto  and as such the
credibility of the European Union is at stake too.

Is this theory?

Italy is a tassel, a cluster of ignorance and fanatism fuelled by media
propaganda  and fascist passion may be taking over the majority.
But Europe has a few such clusters, and it is obvious that there is some
kind of exploit waiting to happen, I can see it
can you?

How can this have  happened?
When journalists who have to denounce something to the public opinion get
shut down, society is
bound to become corrupt, because the public opinion does not get the
stimuli to reflection. This has happened
constantly over the last few years.

I am only a dreamer, my friend, and have little  spare time.
I believe in the power of the word,   words that carry truth  will spread.

If I had been the editor of some national press I would be hammering my
words out
I would have a column called 'bullshit' right on  the first page, where I
would have told them what I
think of every one of them everyday. Maybe the message would have come
across the italian peoples
 But people like me do not become editors of newspapers, we get kicked out.

Somehow I believe that we can set to reach our goals irrespective of
whatever road we chose to follow.
I am a technology writer, I am not interested in politics.

But if a media tycoon with dubious mafia links cannot be prevented  from
participating to the elections
it means that the country is not in a state of right, and Europe is not in
a state of right either,  I will take a stance
My stance is not political, is civil.

The institutions must be integer to support themseves, or they will
disintegrate.

Let's suppose something absurd happens, and an economic coalition pulling
together fascists,  northern separatists,
and recycled money investors all pull together to control politically and
economically Europe.

What will I do, what would you do? Organise the cultural  resistance, my
friend, and make those responsible
for upkeeping the state of right feel the heath of hell in whatever way I
can (torches anyone?)

I'll have to take off my pointy starry deep blue  dream cap and wear a
earth colored berret for a while.
Sometimes a dreamers gotta do that too.

Am I awake? Am I asleep? Is this really happening? dream or nightmare or
both?
Dont' ask me. I have nausea. I also got deadlines and backlog work...

paola di maio