Kelley Walker on Wed, 9 May 2001 15:04:48 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] It's About Time: Cyber Ethics 101

Ted, Geert, et al.

I don't know if this is appropriate at Nettime, but I thought I'd pass it
along anyway.

Kelley

Kelley Walker
Researcher/Writer
Interpact Inc.
http://www.interpactinc.com

All,

Winn Schwartau's latest book is out: Internet and Computer Ethics for
Kids.  The book has a supporting Web resource and e-mail discussion groups
focusing on K-12 Cyber Ethics education. The book, the www.nicekids.net
portal, and the discussion groups are for those interested in issues
pertaining to computer and Internet ethics, education, information security
and privacy.

You can learn more:

*) Visit Nicekids Net at http://www.nicekids.net

*) Read excerpts from the book in .PDF format at
http://www.nicekids.net/book/excerpts/index.htm

*) Join an e-mail discussion group:

***It's About Time...For Cyber Ethics 101***

Internet Security Expert and Award-winning Author
Makes Cyber Ethics a National Educational Priority
with New Book "Internet & Computer Ethics for Kids"

NEW YORK, NY-May 3, 2001-Winn Schwartau, award-winning author and Internet
security expert announced today the national availability of his new book,
"Internet & Computer Ethics for Kids (and Parents & Teachers Who Haven't
Got a Clue)" <http://www.nicekids.net>. This new, highly acclaimed and
critically reviewed book is not only designed to help teach kids about
Cyber Ethics, but also to help parents and teachers understand the
real-world problems that kids face on the Internet today.

"'Internet & Computer Ethics for Kids' is an impressive collection of
situations and references which aid in defining where the Internet has been
and where is it going," said Congressman Tom Tancredo (R-CO). "The chapter
on cyber parenting should be on the reading list of every parent whose
child has access to a computer."

Winn Schwartau had always thought about writing a book on Cyber Ethics.
But, it was not until he discovered his own son hacking into a neighbor's
computer that he decided the issue could no longer wait. The first book in
Schwartau's new series dealing with Internet safety, "Internet and Computer
Ethics for Kids" is a witty, colorful and extensively illustrated book
written in an easy-to-understand, non-technical format. No other book has
been specifically targeted at non-technical parents, teachers and kids who
are in the greatest need of ethical education on issues they don't understand.

Cyber crimes committed by kids on the Internet are becoming a national
epidemic-from the recent intrusion of a government computer system that
tracks the position the U.S. Air Force fleet to attacks against the U.S.
Pentagon that appeared to be coming from Iraq (but weren't) to the hacking
of the International Space Station. The larger issue is that society has
not taught them (or itself) about Cyber Ethics. We teach our kids the
basics: don't talk to strangers, don't steal, and don't hurt other people.
Why don't these life lessons apply online? Why haven't we taught our kids
not to spoof, spam, create viruses or hack online?

"Our nation spent the end of the 20th century making great strides by
building educational infrastructure, wiring our schools to the Internet and
teaching our teachers how to use those computers," said Author Winn
Schwartau. "Now its time to make teaching Cyber Ethics to our kids a
national educational priority. With a solid understanding of Cyber Ethics,
hopefully the next generation will grow up to be responsible computer users."

"'Internet & Computer Ethics for Kids' is a frank and very readable book
that will give parents and teachers a thorough grounding in the potential
pitfalls children may encounter on the Internet," said Peter Smith,
Director of the CyberCitizen Partnership-a joint effort between the
Information Technology Association of America of the Department of Justice.
"We wouldn't give our children the keys to the family automobile without
solid instruction and a strong sense that they possessed the physical and
ethical skills to drive without hurting themselves or others. With his new
book, Winn Schwartau has laid out the driver's education course for the
Information Super Highway."

About "Internet & Computer Ethics for Kids"
"Internet & Computer Ethics for Kids (and Parents and Teachers Who Haven't
Got a Clue)" is not a rule book, but rather a guide to ethical behavior in
cyberspace. This book is written not only for kids, but also for parents
and teachers dealing with ethical issues in this technical age. Whether
working for a Fortune 100 conglomerate, a small business or the government,
the ethical questions relating to computers and the Internet remain the
same. "Internet & Computer Ethics for Kids" is designed to be read and
discussed, to foster debate and open dialogue about applying ethics to
technology. The language is simple so both technically-savvy kids and their
not-so-savvy parents and teachers can operate on a level playing field,
discussing real examples laid out by an industry expert. The chapters are
outlined to walk readers through the ethical questions that they should be
asking their children and themselves, helping create guidelines and
suggesting limits while explaining how the law actually works. "Internet &
Computer Ethics for Kids" serves as a practical guide for the ethical
navigation of cyberspace.

About NiceKids.net
Delivering information and tools to help parents and teachers communicate
with kids about the many ethical issues that they are likely to encounter
when utilizing the Internet, NiceKids.net is a major national campaign that
provides the resources that parents and teachers need. The campaign
utilizes different materials, including the book "Internet and Computer
Ethics for Kids (and Parents & Teachers Who Haven't Got a Clue)," to
educate kids, parents and teachers about Cyber Ethics. Other resources
include a special "Kids Only" section of the Web site as well as a forum
for parents and teachers. There is also a national effort that has already
attracted a multitude of corporations who are "adopting" local school
districts through the donation of Schwartau's new book to the student body.
Many other online resources are also available to help create ethical,
educated and responsible Internet and computer users. For more information,
visit www.nicekids.net.

# # #

Winn Schwartau
Interpact, Inc.