geert lovink on Wed, 9 May 2001 14:11:27 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Sandbox: Incarceration & Surveillance

From: "Sylvie Myerson" <sandbox@echonyc.com>
To: <dewaard@mos.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2001 7:21 AM
Subject: #10: Incarceration & Surveillance

CALL FOR ENTRIES
SANDBOX MAGAZINE #10: INCARCERATION & SURVEILLANCE
+ INSTALLATION/PERFORMANCE EVENT
PROJECTED RELEASE DATE: OCTOBER 2001

http://www.sandboxarts.org
sandbox@echonyc.com

Freedom is a relative concept. Anyone with access to a newspaper these days
knows that the total population behind bars in the US  is currently
approaching 2 million; that  prisons are increasingly run by for-profit
companies whose motivation is the bottom line rather than the rehabilitation
of prisoners; that  the majority of  inmates are members of ethnic
minorities who are behind bars for non-violent offenses; that executions
have reached an all-time high and that the US Supreme Court is currently
questioning the constitutionality of executing mentally retarded prisoners.
On the outside, personal freedoms are also increasingly threatened. Much of
our so-called ³public space² is now  under permanent surveillance through
the use of sophisticated technologies which are not readily available to
ordinary citizens.

The question is, what are visual artists, writers, activists, film-makers,
photographers, culture jammers, media artists, hackers and performance
artists doing to respond to this situation? How is this being documented,
analyzed and counteracted? We are particularly interested in current &
innovative work, especially involving inmates.

Sandbox Open Arts is  a not-for-profit arts organization which is entirely
volunteer-run.  Please note that Magazine participants receive 2 copies and
event participants receive 2 copies. Other than this Sandbox is not in a
position to pay contributors for either  publication or performance.
However, we are strongly committed to producing and promoting contributors¹
work in a professional manner within the limitations of our budget.

SUBMISSION GUIDELINES:
Include article outline and any supporting materials including articles,
reviews, recordings etc. as well as SASE.

DEADLINES:
Proposals for magazine & event - May 15
First Drafts - June 15
Final Drafts - July 15
Tentative Release - October 15

MISSION:
Sandbox Magazine, Sandbox Performance/Installation Events and Sandbox
Webzine are projects of Sandbox Open Arts, a not-for-profit arts
organization whose mission is to encourage experimentation in the visual
arts, the performing arts, music, and literature with a particular emphasis
on interactive and multi-media work. We are also particularly committed to
exploring the connections between art, culture and society. Sandbox,
Magazine of Creative & Subversive Play is published semi-annually. Each
issue is theme-based and is released in conjunction with a performance and
installation event.

PLEASE SEND ALL MATERIALS TO  SANDBOX PO BOX  150098
BROOKLYN NY USA 11215, sandbox@echonyc.com