Ashley Crawford on Fri, 27 Apr 2001 01:34:42 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] dery/miller

Dear Nettime,
I am writing with some concern about a recent posting
from Paul Miller with regards to Mark Dery’s
editorship of Artbyte magazine. During the time period
Paul refers to I was Executive Editor at the magazine.
Paul’s posting infers that Mark’s decision making was
racial in motivation. I want to categorically state,
having dealt closely with both Miller and Dery during
that period, that Dery’s decision making in this
regard had absolutely nothing to do with racial
politics. It was an issue of style and approach which
is naturally at the discretion of the editor - the
position which Mark held. It is inevitable in the
highly charged atmosphere of contemporary discourse
that battles will take place, however I beseech all
parties to recognise this for what it really is; a war
of ideas, not races.
Sincerely,
Ashley Crawford