Michael van Eeden on Sat, 21 Apr 2001 08:59:35 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] nettime server/technical stuff

hi,
just a short message to let you know i am at the moment upgrading and moving
the Nettime server. The Waag / Society for Old and New Media in Amsterdam
has agreed to host and pay for a new server for Netttime. The coming weeks
we will install this server and move all Nettime archives and lists.

Why move?
at the moment the nettime server is located in Cologne. None of the people
involved with Nettime live nearby, so in case of an emergency we have to
depend on people in Cologne who don't know much about the server and
Nettime. A year ago it took me a day by train just to do a simple OS
upgrade...

Why a new server?
The nettime server in Cologne is also used by some other projects, so we
cannot just move it. The nettime server also needs more disk space and
memory for the regular indexing of the mailing list archives.

I hope that giving the whole archival process an overhaul while moving it
will solve some problems we have at the moment, most notably the absence of
the nettime-bold archive. For some reason this archive just didn't work and
i haven't been able to fix it. Maybe it is time to upgrade to new archival
software anyway but i don't want to change everything at the same time. If
people have ideas about mailing list archival software please contact me and
let me know.

After the move i hope we can also start to use the new server as a
playground for new nettime projects. There are technically challenging
projects like the upcoming nettime-mandarin (most software cannot even
handle accented western characters), and it would also be interesting to
look into new ways to communicate and facilitate the nettime community
(sic).

For those people who have been waiting and waiting for the nettime-bold
archive: there is now something crude and not finished but functioning at:

  http://amsterdam.nettime.org/Lists-Archives/

greetings,

Michael
mieg@factory.org