Richard Joly on 17 Apr 2001 19:01:33 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> disposal of surplus buddhas

>the statues. In short, the tolerate-no-icon  reason given by the clerics was
>not the main reason.
>
>Anyone know more about this?

I can recommend this site, they usually have quite up to date news on art
related issues and they compile relevant materials from many good sources
into helpful dossiers.

http://www.artsjournal.com/issues/Taliban.htm

has lots of info on various aspects of the politics behind the destruction,
 looting / smuggling, etc., from both an art and policital perspective.

Additionaly, I also recall an article about one of the Taliban very young
minister [ of Information Tourism International Trade ? ]  who recently was
in the US, and he gave a speech on some  CA campus. Of course, now, I can't
find it again.  As I recall, he commented on the funding his country was
receiving from international charities,  funds who were helping restore art
works and the likes, whereas the 'west' still refuses to help the people
with recognition of the politicians in power, and cash to help feed the
population. IF I'm correct, he [and the taliban leaders] found this
disgraceful.  My take from the article was  that therefore, destroying the
statues was a way to signify to the west, that they should send money to
help the real victim of this isolation, ie the people, not the
illegal/blashpemous icons.

Richard