Sascha Pichler" (by way of richardbarbrook) on 17 Apr 2001 15:43:51 -0000

[Nettime-bold] C R I S I S W E B N E W S: New ICG report on Sierra Leone

 C R I S I S W E B   N E W  S
---------------------------
Wednesday, 11 April 2001

Sierra  Leone
---------------------------
Sierra Leone: Time for a New Military  and Political Strategy

ICG Africa Report Nr.28

Sierra Leone is a massive human tragedy that is rapidly becoming a security
nightmare for all West Africa. ICG argues that the international community
needs  a radically different approach: it must help Sierra Leone defeat
militarily the  rebel Revolutionary United Front (RUF), which has forfeited
its place at the  negotiating table by breaking successive agreements and
its barbarous methods.  There are two vital conditions. First, it is urgent
to harmonise divergent UK  and UN military mission (UNAMSIL) approaches to
forge a common military  strategy. Secondly, military action must be
co-ordinated with a coherent  political strategy accepted by all key
international actors and the Sierra Leone  government and including a
lengthy commitment to help Sierra Leone rebuild.

   --> Please see <http://www.crisisweb.org>www.crisisweb.org  for the full
report