Elissa Jenkins on 13 Apr 2001 11:28:12 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Call for contributors for M/C 'sick' issue

Call for Contributors

M/C - A Journal of Media and Culture is looking for contributors for its
latest issue 'sick'.

M/C is a crossover journal between the popular and the academic, and a
blind- and peer-reviewed journal.

To see what M/C is all about, check out our web site, which contains all
the
issues released so far, at http://www.api-network.com/mc/.

To find out how and in what format to contribute your work, visit
http://www.api-network.com/mc/contribute.html.

'sick'
- article deadline: May 14 2001
- issue editors: Nick Caldwell, Catriona Mills

How Sick are You?

In this issue of M/C we investigate the cultural manifestation of
sickness
in all of its varied forms. To be sick is to be marginalised in a number
of
ways; sickness is a central object in the discourses of moral
conservatism,
of biology and medicine, of social control and disapproval. But "sick"
is
also now a slightly outdated, slang term of commendation. These
functions
operate separately, but also feed off one another.

We invite articles that address the discourse of sickness and its moral,
mental, physical and cultural manifestations. Is a "sick" text a
manifestation or dimension of that sickness? What makes a text "sick"?
How have discourses and manifestations of sickness changed over time,
and
how does this change our reading of "sick" texts from earlier historical
periods, especially when an older text is reconstructed in a new modern
format through the magic of film or television.

If you want to be part of the sickness, send your articles to the issue
editors. Details are:

Nick Caldwell - n.caldwell@mailbox.uq.edu.au
Catriona Mills - c.mills@mailbox.uq.edu.au

Article Deadline: 14th May 2001.