Terrence Kosick on 11 Apr 2001 17:04:42 -0000

Re: [Nettime-bold] Re: [Genius2000 cry baby] Another Salvaggio Discussion

Terrence writes;

All  this debate gets misanthropic because of the paranoid perceptions of a
few list people that  some individuals and institutions seemingly selfish
behavious live off the possibly paranoid philanthropy of government and
corporations and private donors. It is not about taste or good will. Its
about politics and the curent state of humanity, but is all this unusual?
Is this not just the usual compalints of the rabble?

When I was in my undergraduate teachers and teachers for the other art
college would running in and out of my store calling my work barbarism or
that's why men get famous etc. etc. I was dragging my work up onto the
court house steps. One large work was on the front page of the local paper.
I did get into a large group show here that includes artists from portland
to alaska. Unfortunately i got paned in favor of the one's being set up
with shining new 80's painting careers. I thought they did not like a
independent young man. A 24 year old something whisky drinking muscle jock
making art. I got blacklisted, I think. because I 'once' criticized the
laziness of the profs (2 students left the program due to this.) Suddenly I
was a little big mouth who despite telling the truth was branded. I got
ignored and rejected for 10 years. I went to new York in 1996 and talked to
the director of a gallery there who was appalled by my story but loved my
paintings of the past 5 years. He thinks my work is amazing. I told him I
was getting into the information culture because i see it as a natural meta
environment. And here I hoped the truth of human perception and society be
known. ( I think you're one of the truthful honest souls who is short
sighted about how society and power works. ) Maybe you're right or maybe
your perception is a bit paranoid. And maybe you wish the people who ignore
you would like you, and if they did would you be complaining now? At least
Alex posted your shtick on Rhizome. Someone likes you. God knows why.

In my case what the powers that be did not know back then, that I was
preparing for a life's battle. I did not quit like most of th other
artschool grads. It seems you and a couple of artists on these lists are in
the thick of it. Max I just keep filling my storage rooms and friends
basements up with art while the favored who have been given the
opportunities are teaching, (god knows why). Well sadly their work is
sitting in major museums storage. They have a few more catalogue apearances
but they are dependant on the system. Would my work be as good as it is if
I was in their place? I wait for my epiphany.

Sure I could do more to kiss butt and spend half my time applying to
galleries and institutions and spending more time contextualizing my work
then doing some " things ".  Max what you and Eric and Brad run into is
just what most people run into. Power and conscience.  People look after
themselves. I have my own successful business now and I do my coool art in
my nice new studio loft I paid for with no one but my happy customers money
for honest work. I feel like a king. I'll feel great once i start getting
into shows again on my own terms. Its been 15 years waiting for me Max, and
I got an independent life out of it and honest art and involvement in this
info culture environment. I am happy to be hanging out here and being a
unabashed artist posting humerous material. So get with it dude, exploit
your goof ball mania and energy for your own work and stop burning art
world crosses. You guys are a pain in the ass cry baby kill joys.

Best

T.