Jim Andrews on 3 Apr 2001 11:25:49 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Nio: Interactive audio for the Web

I'd like to invite you to check out a new piece of Web art:

NIO:
http://www.turbulence.org/Works/Nio/

*interactive music
*visual/sound poem
*suggestive of a new form of music/multimedia
*hopefully a popular alternative to the music video
*about 760k but it streams to 56k modems just fine--complex multimedia
needn't require broadband.

Also part of the project:
*Interview by Randy Adams (text)
*'Nio and the Art of Interactive Audio' (essay)
*'Technotes on Nio and Audio Programming with Director 8' (essay)
*visual poems made from onion skins of the Nio animations (bitmaps)

I did the vocals, the programming, the animations, the graphics, the works.
Took me several months. Hardest but funnest Web piece I've done so far.

There are several more in the works. The underlying software (written in
Lingo) synchronizes layers and sequences of audio. It also synchronizes the
animations with the audio. Also, just as the audio is layered, so too are
the animations. You interactively construct layers and sequences of the
available sounds, and each sound is associated with an animation that plays
when the sound plays. So Nio suggests a new form of music, really, which is
interactive and conjoined with the visual. Although Nio is primarily a
writerly/poetical realization of such visual music (Vismu) you can see that
with a different approach to the animations and more sounds, the form itself
is quite a radical alternative to the music video. And there are many other
juicy possibilities discussed in the essays.

There are two essays: 'Nio and the Art of Interactive Audio for the Web'
discusses the artistic, technological, and business possibilities in the
work I'm developing. The second is a 'how to' essay on audio programming
with Macromedia Director 8.

Nio is a commission of New Radio and Performing Arts, Inc. for its
Turbulence.org web site with funds from the National Endowment for the Arts.

Hope you like it.

Regards,
Jim Andrews
www.vispo.com