Simon Biggs on 19 Mar 2001 11:54:02 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> Carl Loeffler (was: net art history)

I am also not sure if Carl is really dead or not. One person who would know
is Roy Ascott. I'll mail him and see...

Judith Hoffberg in S.F. also worked with Carl for years on their mail art
projects, pre Art.Com even. I do not know what she is up to either. Does
the east/west divide function that effectively in the States?

As for the deletion of history by those with their own agenda's...it isn't
the first time. The winners always write history (PoMo 101).

best

Simon

>On Fri, 16 Mar 2001, Tilman Baumgaertel wrote:
>
>> Murphy, you mention Carl Loeffler, and that he died recently, a fact of
>> which I wasn't aware. In my research on early, pre-internet
>> telecommunication art I kept encountering his name. He edited an issue of
>> Leonardo Magazine on telecommunication art and started the art.com
>> newsgroup - that is as much as I know of him.
>
>I'm beginning to think I imagined his death. I know I read an obit
>somewhere, probably Wired News, but searches have brought no mention.
>There's not much from him past 1996. If my report of his death was
>exaggerated I apologize. Even if that is the case it's still strange that
>so many people don't know what happened to him. He was still running the
>art.com newsgroup and teaching (I think) at Carnegie Mellon in Pittsburgh
>around 1993. His concept of a "virtual museum" was an influence on me
>early on and I've been interested in these earlier theories of virtuality
>lately.
>
>Me thinks a great many names are in the process of being "expunged" right
>now by American art museums, galleries and magazines as they write the
>history of "art in a technological age..."
>
>Rob

Simon Biggs
London GB

simon@babar.demon.co.uk