Michael H Goldhaber on 10 Mar 2001 21:34:31 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> copy=right

Felix undoubtedly made a good effort to "cut out the ideological bits," in his
quote of the Economist article  (shown below for context ) but inevitably they
remain:
1) " But of course, if every country allowed drug piracy, no one would be
prepared to invest the necessary millions to invent new cures,..."
Actually governments  (as opposed to private corporations) invest quite a lot
as it is to achieve these results. All sorts of schemes can be thought up to
support drug research and testing (often the main expense) without the
patients who need them having to pay accordingly. And "piracy" is a pretty
loaded term all by itself.  It could equally well apply to the actions of the
drug companies, who regularly rack up huge profits at the expense of the ill
and dying .
2) "In other words, it can expropriate the inventor's intellectual property."
Again, calling a patent "intellectual property" rather than a right granted by
a particular country for  reasons of the public good (as is specified for
instance in the US Constitution) is a totally ideological formulation.
3) " Drug firms fear that if their products are sold at low prices in poor
countries, smugglers may buy crate-loads and ship them back to rich
countries, where they could undercut legitimate sales" here again "legitimate"
is just what is or should be at issue.

My point of course is that in the field of "intellectual property" ideology is
incredibly thick and encrusted. One should not calmly read these things
without deconstructing them.
Best,
Michael H. Goldhaber

--