integer on 26 Feb 2001 16:10:41 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Re: western journalists

fran ilich <ilich_030@hotmail.com>

>SERB THUGS TARGET ROMA

blaming the milosevic regime for the anti-gipsy routine = 01 shortkut 2 intelligence
which only western life forms could activate. this has been taking
place in eastern europe prior to and it is fueled by 01 elongated history.

western life forms = may wish to update their m9nd kontainers or even better
- remain exactly where you are.

nn

>Far-right skinhead groups are scaring Roma off the streets of Belgrade
>
>By Daniel Sunter in Belgrade
>
>Katarina Zivanovic arrived at the Rex Cultural Centre on Jevrejska ulica,
>Jewish Street, last week to find the doors and walls covered with swastikas,
>SS insignia and anti-Semitic stickers and posters.
>
>It's widely believed the outrage was carried out by Serb skinheads,
>apparently provoked by a widely publicized and well-attended photographic
>exhibition on the Belgrade's Roma community in the same building.
>
>This was the latest in a series of racist attacks against the capital's Roma
>over the last three years. Many blame ethnic hatred stirred up during
>Milosevic's regime for the intimidation.  Zivanovic, curator of the Rex
>Cultural Center and one of the organizers of the Roma exhibition, told IWPR
>that she encountered racist attitudes on the streets all the time.
>
>"All sorts of people come up to me, educated people, artists, and ask why
>I'm holding the exhibition, why I'm not doing something about Serbs and
>Serbia, " she said. " I'm so dismayed by people's reactions."
>
>Zivanovic believes the exhibition has exposed disturbing levels of racism in
>Serbian society, resulting from years of isolation under Milosevic.
>
>"Milosevic's fierce propaganda turned people from different ethnic and
>religious backgrounds against each other," agreed the Federal Minister for
>Ethnic Minorities Rasim Ljajic, himself a member of the Bosniak minority.
>"Mutual mistrust among these communities is vast."
>
>Police estimate there are about two thousand skinheads in Serbia, based in
>Belgrade, Nis and Novi Sad. They emerged, as in most countries of Central
>and Eastern Europe, during the early nineties and were thrust into the
>headlines in late 1997 after being implicated in the murder of a Roma
>teenager.
>
>Dusan Jovanovic had walked into a Belgrade store to buy a can of coke and
>was beaten to death by a group of thugs. The store, close to the university
>law faculty, had been a renowned skinhead haunt during the 1990s.
etc