Toni Alatalo on 17 Feb 2001 13:41:29 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> a correspondance with nike

geert lovink wrote:

 > Date sent: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 14:10:13 -0400
 > From: Jason Dionne <jadnn@mta.ca>
 >
 > Nike now lets you personalize your shoes by submitting a word or phrase
 > which
 > they will stitch onto your shoes, under the swoosh. So Jonah Peretti
filled
 > out the form and sent them $50 to stitch "sweatshop" onto his shoes.

this story was slashdotted yesterday and people there noticed an
interesting twist:

---cut---
Quick Fix. (Score:5, Interesting)
by dougman (dougman@theswindle.com) on Friday February 16, @04:02PM EST
(#66)
(User #908 Info) http://www.theswindle.com
I find it intriguing, that moments after this story was posted, the html
"wizard" that allows consumers to build their own Nikes was suddenly
changed ever so slightly, and I mean ever so slightly - suddenly the
textbox to enter your "id" was limited in size to 8 charachters. Just one
shy of the 9 chars in the word "sweatshop".

And to prove this was deliberate I checked the cache of my second pc which
coincidentally had visited just this site a few days ago. The text limit
was 12 chars on what was otherwise identical HTML.

Fascinating.

Unfortunately, I can still think of plenty of regrettable things (to Nike)
that fit in 8 chars or less (per shoe).

I recommend we all place an order right this moment for a pair of shoes
with "goatse" in the left shoe and ".cx" in the right one.
---cut---

The nasty part is that some people thought that the whole correspondance
was fake when they notices the 8 char limit..

http://slashdot.org/articles/01/02/16/1746256.shtml is the thread

~Toni