Nettime mailing list archives

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> a correspondance with nike
Toni Alatalo on 17 Feb 2001 13:41:29 -0000

geert lovink wrote:

 > Date sent: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 14:10:13 -0400
 > From: Jason Dionne <jadnn {AT} mta.ca>
 > Nike now lets you personalize your shoes by submitting a word or phrase
 > which
 > they will stitch onto your shoes, under the swoosh. So Jonah Peretti
 > out the form and sent them $50 to stitch "sweatshop" onto his shoes.

this story was slashdotted yesterday and people there noticed an
interesting twist:

Quick Fix. (Score:5, Interesting)
by dougman (dougman {AT} theswindle.com) on Friday February 16,  {AT} 04:02PM EST
(User #908 Info) http://www.theswindle.com
I find it intriguing, that moments after this story was posted, the html
"wizard" that allows consumers to build their own Nikes was suddenly
changed ever so slightly, and I mean ever so slightly - suddenly the
textbox to enter your "id" was limited in size to 8 charachters. Just one
shy of the 9 chars in the word "sweatshop".

And to prove this was deliberate I checked the cache of my second pc which
coincidentally had visited just this site a few days ago. The text limit
was 12 chars on what was otherwise identical HTML.

Unfortunately, I can still think of plenty of regrettable things (to Nike)
that fit in 8 chars or less (per shoe).

I recommend we all place an order right this moment for a pair of shoes
with "goatse" in the left shoe and ".cx" in the right one.

The nasty part is that some people thought that the whole correspondance
was fake when they notices the 8 char limit..

http://slashdot.org/articles/01/02/16/1746256.shtml is the thread

Nettime-bold mailing list
Nettime-bold {AT} nettime.org