Alberto Gaitan on 15 Feb 2001 06:44:24 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> Usenet archives sold?

> Geert writes:
> As far as I can see the issue of Google *owning* Usenet
> archives should have been discussed much earlier, when Dejanews started
> archiving Usenet for commercial purposes. This debate is not about the
> right of this or that company to make money, but about the question if
> they should do that with other people's writing, without asking
> permission.

I remind myself that this isn't like that other dotcom's use of
dissertations for profit, nor like the example recently posited of
claiming copyright of a compilation of two or three otherwise
copyrighted books. Usenet's are writings offered into the ether by
their authors, usually as a reply to a query, without any hope for
profit other than cred: the copyleft way. It was *because* of
dejanews that we got a small sense of permanence about a
system designed to be almost as ephemeral as a conversation.

Nowadays, lawmakers make a distinction between databases and
other types of intellectual property. I can see how the notion that
an archiver might claim content copyright as well as database
copyright might raise copyright-sensitive folks' hackles. A bill
before the US Congress seems to aim at letting archives like
Google maintain a database copyright without claiming content
copyright, thereby allowing them to sell that 'intellectual property'
but not any other:

"H.R.1858 [1] also seeks to provide protection to publishers of
electronic databases but it also ensures public access to facts and
information, which historically have been part of the public domain."
 -- from (http://www.cni.org/Hforums/ninch-
announce/1999/0076.html)

If people come to fear sharing their knowledge because of copyright
concerns, the Usenet will be no more and that unprecedented
conversation will be over. If they prevent archivers from making a
living out of their labor, that unprecedented conversation will be
forgotten.

Alberto Gaitán

[1] http://www.databasedata.org/hr1858/hr1858.html