Michael H Goldhaber on 7 Jan 2001 06:16:11 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> Disassociate Webdesign from Usability

Geert,

I believe I am the originator of the term "attention economy," which you  claim
is dead. May I say a little, off the top of my head, in reply? What is dead is
a misappropriation of the term; I have always argued that the attention economy
and the money economy are fundamentally separate. What is over (in its first
form at least) is the simple idea that on the net, as elsewhere, the captains
of the money economy can appropriate attention for themselves to use as a
source of profits. In an effort to do that they made the net unattractive with
endless uninspired ads and web portals designed for the lowest common
denominator.

Meanwhile many who  sought primarily attention rather than money on the net
offered designs of only the most superficial artistry. I think that so far the
real attention getters on the net, its real current stars are not designers  as
such but those who put out or edit streams of texts, more like nettime than
etoy, I suspect, or create new forms of search engine, such as google or other
innovative net software (Napster, for example). This is mostly not visible as
design. I have written elsewhere why real net (visual) art is extremely
difficult .

Nonetheless, scarcity of attention and its desirability not only are still true
but are on the increase. The net will only increase in importance as a possible
tool for attention getting, and through continual innovation , and many failed
experiments it will be a medium of endless new stars.  At the same time it will
long remain a site of conflict between the old money-material economy and the
emerging, different, but still grossly unequal attention economy.
(Incidentally it is and will be more an attention economy than a gift
economy---pace Richard Barbrook et al.---  because, unfortunately perhaps, the
desire for scarce attention will be more behind web productions than the sheer
generosity at least implied by the term 'gift.' I am writing a longer
explanation of this point that I should have ready soon.

Still, I do believe you are right to suggest that even purely visual web
design, along with other categories will have their own stars, as I read you to
suggest.

Best,
Michael

Michael H. Goldhaber

mgoldh@well.com
http://www.well.com/user/mgoldh
My E-Letter: to subscribe send blank message to
Goldhaber-subscribe@listbot.com