scotartt on 17 Dec 2000 22:10:18 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> http://www.bbs and 5000 best domain names free to register

> IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO RECEIVE FUTURE COMMUNICATIONS FROM  THIS EMAIL
> ADDRESS, PLEASE COLLABORATE WITH US BY NOT PRESSURING THE SERVERS  OR
> PROVIDERS. IN THIS WAY EVERYONE THAT DESIRES CAN BE  DROPPED  OFF  THE
> LIST.

Spammers. One just has to laugh at this inbred pack of retards and its
ridiculous attempts to hoodwink, cajole, and lie and deceive its way into
your computer screen and wallet. (subjects like "About yesterday",
seemingly personal emails, "dear friend", my favorite - "This is NOT spam",
and other atrocities) Mmmmm ... FYI the passage above reads; please don't
complain and have our internet provider spank our naughty little bottoms
for breaching their acceptable use policy, as this will be *bad* for you,
in that your name will forever stay on our spam list if you do. Naturally,
sending the *spammer* an email saying "don't send me anymore email" will
only result in an increase in spam; what you have done is confirm to the
spammers the existance of a real person at the address they just tried.
Sending the ISPs a complaint won't get your name off their list (they
bought it off someone else anyway), but it will have the spammer
inconvienienced for at least a little time.

Just yesterday I got a spam regarding the new .biz (etc) domains. It said
that ICANN approved the domains (true) and invited me to "pre register"
without bothering to mention whether in fact the spammer had any legal
affiliation or right to pre sell domains, or whether the user had in fact
any legal right to do so either. The last time I came across an obvious
domain name scam, I complained to abuse@icann.org and promptly got a
message back from the IANA that I should "see the ISP" about the spam. Even
after I wrote back and kindly explained I didn't care about the spam, that
in fact what I was trying to inform ICANN about was an obvious domain name
scam, surely something that is within ICANN's purview, I got back a useless
message yet again, about SPAM and email providers and quoting the message's
headers back to me. ICANN is either clueless, or lazy in these matters.
This time, I'll just delete the spam and complain to the ISP as usual.

In my view ICANN is effectively a creator of such SPAMs, simply because the
spammers have found a NEW type of pyramid scheme to sell unknowing dupes,
and ICANN refuses to do anything about complaints about it. Either they
encourage, collaborate with, or tolerate such laughable "pre register"
schemes, or they are simply too lazy to police the pool of domain name
registars that they oversee.

As an aside, someone brought to my attention an ingenious way to foul the
works of spammers; a web page that does nothing but generate random and
bogus email addresses, with a link to itself. This causes the spammer's
email address gathering engine to fill its database up with junk, resulting
in a bad as possible data set for the spammer and a clogged email queue for
the ISP; hopefully forcing it to take preemptive action against the
spammer.