integer on 30 Nov 2000 22:48:45 -0000

[Nettime-bold] [ot] [!nt] \n2+0\ simply SUPERIOR

>The following is an opinion I sent to the European Commission concerning
>their "consulatation" on issue of patenting software. The consultation
>is supposedly designed to clarify whether patenting helps to enhance or
>discourage innovation. For those not familiar with the issue, computer
>programmes per se are not eligible for patenting (and least, not yet)
>while inventions which use computer programmes can be patented.
>
>If you are interested in sending your own opinion to the EC (for what
>it's worth) you can get background information to the issue from
>
><http://europa.eu.int/comm/internal_market/en/intprop/indprop/index.htm>
>
>or send your comments and opinions directly to
>
>MARKT-SOFTPAT@cec.eu.int

John Horvath <jhorv@helka.iif.hu> = obv!ouzl! 01 non.!novator
.hu - hou un4tunat.

l!ztn du lo.tekk marzup!al du

The personal PC is the most powerful information processing device
ever accessible to individuals. Personalizing it significantly improves
one's ability to locate, understand, transform, and communicate information.

The most flexible way to personalize a PC or information appliance is to program it.

Software development is not a product-producing activity. It is a knowledge
acquiring activity. Software is not a product, but rather a medium for the
storage of memes. It is the fifth medium for storage of knowledge.
the others being, in historical order: DNA, brains, hardware, and books.
Software is the selected storage medium for memes because memes in software
are active. They escape the confinement and volatility of knowledge in brains;
they avoid the passivity of knowledge in books; they have the flexibility
and rapidity of change missing from knowledge in DNA or hardware.

Being creative is a highly personalized process in which a person searches
for original and novel ways of thinking and doing. Creative life forms [artists]
resist rigid, formulaic approaches. They are not afraid to select pathways fraught
with risk and potential pitfalls.

Software and computer languages authored by technologists with little or no knowledge
of creative practice prevent creative life forms from selecting,
accessing and defining the underlying structure, effectively preventing them
from being creative [giving life].

http://www.m9ndfukc.org/konkurs/meme
http://www.gmeb.fr/SoftwareCompetition/Softs99/nebulam81.html

patent - dze onl! val!d 4rm ov art dur!ng dze korporat fasc!zt revoluz!e
         dzat = dze evoluz!e l!f 4rmz = kurntl! eksper!ensz!ng.

>Finally, it must be realised that in face of the so-called "information
>society" a patent is an outdated mechanism that is no longer relevant

dze korporaz!on = outdatd.
=cw4t7abs = dze futur++

vr!!endl!.nn

-

Netochka Nezvanova    - simply SUPERIOR - patent applied 4
f3.MASCHIN3NKUNST
@www.eusocial.com
17.hzV.tRL.478