Richard Pell on 9 Nov 2000 06:20:33 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Fwd: Analysis of FL ballots

---------- Forwarded message begins here ----------
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 17:40:01 -0500
From: kiesler <kiesler@cs.cmu.edu>
To: hcii-faculty@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu
Subject: Important re. the election

Folks
In Palm Beach, somebody at the elections office designed an
unbelievably badly designed ballot. Click on link below and "the ballot in
question" on the right hand side of the  page to see what the actual ballot
looked like.

http://cnews.tribune.com/news/story/0,1162,oso-nation-82371,00.html

One of our faculty, Bonnie John, used it as an example of poor usability in
the Introduction to HCI class today. The design has drastic effects; Gore
is second on the ballot but the second button actually causes a vote for
Buchanan instead of Gore.

One of the SDS political science faculty, Greg Adams, did an analysis to
see what the effect of this ballot design was on the election. I am copying
his email message below.