David Teh on 4 Nov 2000 00:25:39 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> Artists and Industry, Unite!

i cannot let the comments of <conceptualart.org> pass without tempering them
with a skerrick of the reasonable.

it is certainly wonderful when artists working in new media get down and dirty
themselves - beyond producing interesting art, it sometimes results in very
creative modifications to the technology itself.

but why criticise an artist for wanting the newest technology applied in
his/her work, even if they are not fluent with the old?  might not the new
technology produce exciting leads and results in the art practice? in fact, is
there an ethical requirement for the artist to be fluent in the use of new
technology? why can't an artist work on conceptual development, aesthetic
development and material development while an engineer does the tech. work
for/with him?  is there something wrong with this?

ummm, Eiffel didn't put the Tower up himself, did he?

dt