JSalloum on 3 Nov 2000 07:39:05 -0000

[Nettime-bold] A.11-Truth Is The Victim, The Same Old Double Standards Prevail

http://www.indymedia.org.il/imc/israel/webcast/display.php3?article_id=388

The Intifada: Truth Is The Victim As The Same Old Double Standards Prevail

by Robert Fisk
from the Independent
UK 10:22am Mon Oct 30 '00

Why do we always get taken in by the same lies? Don't reporters carry history
books, even a cuttings file, to remind them of what they wrote in the last
Arab-Israeli war? Even the quotes - the meretricious, cliché- soaked
statements
are the same.

Let's go back to June 1982. Southern Lebanon. A UN ceasefire is in place
between Yasser Arafat's PLO guerrillas and Israel. In London, a Palestinian
tries to assassinate the Israeli ambassador; his potential killer belongs to
the
anti-Arafat Abu Nidal faction, intent on provoking an Israeli invasion of
Lebanon.

Israel bombs Arafat's men in Lebanon. After several days under attack, they
fire
Katyusha rockets over the border into Israel. And what happens? Israel
invades
Lebanon because it is under "terrorist" attack and suggests - wait for it - t
hat
"Arafat cannot control his men".

Sound familiar? There's more. By the time cameras were recording the
thousands of civilian casualties of the Lebanon war, the Israelis were asking
why the "terrorists" were hiding behind the civilians. Why did the
Palestinians
use children in their war? Israel said it did not intend to kill children,
even the
ones I found in the Makassed hospital in Beirut, their bodies still on fire
from
the phosphorus shell that killed them, and blamed their deaths on the PLO.

And duly, I recall, most journalists in 1982 fell in line with the narrative
laid
down by the Americans and the Israelis, just as they do today. As usual, the
slaughter of Palestinian children is blamed on the Palestinians. The death of
Arab civilians is the fault of the Arabs. Arafat cannot control "his people".
Arabs
are turned into "terrorists", as opposed to the folk who are killing the Arab
civilians and children whose deaths, of course, are the responsibility of
their
own grieving parents.

No, we should not get romantic about the corrupt, venal Palestinian officials
who tried to rule their little statelets in 1982 - and in 2000. In 1982 we
listened
to the PLO drivelling on about the "Zionist death wagon" and the massacre of
thousands of civilians around a town called Jezzine. The "massacre" turned
out
to be myth - as most journalists suspected and reported. The PLO would claim
they were fighting for the Lebanese - a complete lie - and that this was the
most
important battle since Stalingrad, a parallel as laughable as it was
grotesque. But
the PLO's "propaganda machine", in reality so preposterous, was of such
inefficiency that no one would take it seriously.

But at least, in 1982, Arafat would talk to the press. At least the PLO could
field
a few English speakers. Today, Arafat refuses to talk to foreign
correspondents,
let alone in English, and fields a bunch of officials (apart from Hanan
Ashrawi)
whose inability to speak good English renders them almost incomprehensible.
Claims that Palestinians were not firing at Israeli soldiers were destroyed
by
video which clearly showed that Palestinian policemen, far from directing
traffic, were shooting at their opposite numbers on the Israeli side.

And yet again - the record shows it all too clearly - journalists in 1982
found
themselves browbeaten by a supposedly outraged Israel which claimed reporting
was hopelessly biased towards the Palestinians. This ridiculous assertion was
taken so seriously in the US that the New York Times allowed an Israeli lobby
group to "monitor" its reporting. Journalist Tom Friedman had remarks about
Israel's "indiscriminate" artillery fire censored from his reports, while the
US
media used the word "terrorists" (always Arab "terrorists") like a
punctuation
mark.

 But it is the traditional double standard that marks the propaganda victory
of one
side over the other in the Middle East. When Israel sent its Lebanese
Christian
militias into the Sabra and Chatila refugee camps in 1982, those militias
massacred up to 2,000 Palestinian civilians. Not only did Israel say this was
"a
mistake". They attacked journalists who reported the murders as
"anti-Semitic".

Similarly, the killing of Palestinian children by Israeli troops now. On any
other
story - in Kosovo, East Timor or Belfast - the killing of so many children by
"security forces" would engender outrage on the part of journalists. If Serb
"security forces" were killing Albanian youths at this rate last year, Nato
would
have gone to war weeks earlier.

Yet today, we hear the usual weasel words. We hear of Israel's "tough
response", its "robust" action, its "restraint". No, the Israelis are not the
Serbs.
Nor are they the Indonesian army. But journalists are the same. So fearful of
creating "controversy" by telling the truth according to real journalistic
standards, so vain that they must avoid all criticism, so lacking in resolve
that
they must announce that the 12-year-old Palestinian shot by the Israelis in
Gaza
was "killed in crossfire", that they are actively taking sides. And if a
massacre
follows, will we tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth? I
doubt
 it.

 © 2000 Independent Digital (UK) Ltd.

 www.independent.co.uk/www/