underbelly on 29 Oct 2000 20:12:05 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> Nader is important: get rid of him!

Ivan Zassoursky wrote:

>      [also To: campaign@votenader.org, CC: naderletters@moveon.org]
>
> <snip>
>

> Vote for Nader. It will make you feel better.
>
> ivan zassoursky
> __________________________________

great, just what we need: a bunch of politically naive, righteous
idealists running around *feeling better*. After Bush gets elected
and sets about the devastation of the environment in Alaska, the
right of women to choose, and a host of other thingswe all hold to
be dear, (not to mention a host of policy we don't even understand
or think about). I'm sure those feeling better might start to feel
pretty bad... Don't be fooled by Nader: he isn't so different from
these other guys running. He'll do anything to get ahead in some
way, just like them, including undermining Gore and his campaign.
Afterall, he *is* a politician. Nader's appeal to progressive-minded,
well-educated, disenfranchized liberals is manipulative and misleading;
it will make a difference, one very big difference, if Bush gets in.
This is so obvious and the appeal to 60s nostalgia so pathetic and
wrong-headed  you'd think any toddler could point it out at a
distance. (And I used to really look up to Susan Sarandon); what we
need is pragmatism, not dreamy 60s revival idealism that will
remain just that. One thing that would help in this fight would be
to face up to what a simplistic, right-leaning, puritanical culture
this really is; the dream of Nader is exciting, it's radical, but
it's a dream. I don't buy that voting for him is an expediant measure
--not for an instant. As for *fear*: people are afraid of Gore
because he is intelligent, and an aristocrat (god-forbid) and
therefore not one of them. He represents a classic ego-threat to
the American Puritanical Everyman...

Keep the Republicans OUT.
Just do it.
This is a crucial election.
Don't throw it away. Don't vote Nader.
Consolidate: vote Gore for all it's worth. Vote against Bush.

j. garnett
flaming liberal pragmatist