molly hankwitz on 19 Oct 2000 03:16:08 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Al Gore and the Internet discussion

Roberto, I'm right in there with you. We are seduced to
do more activities on the Net and there seems to be less and
less public space for fighing for the public sphere. I think
this is why we also search for independent content on the Net
and why net.time is good, because it gives us that space.
if only we can keep open public discourse on the Net - I think
this is really key because certainly cities as "real" space are
closing down a lot of public space in favor of "controlled" even
privately owned or maintained parks, recreation, streets, etc.
(both american as well as australian space)

i think we will experience ongoing turbulence because its
really private and public that are conceptually restructured now
under the very dominant capitalism we are expereincing. everyday
life is being restructured in its updraft i'm afraid. what is started
everyday to fight for public freedom builds one little piece of
turf for the future. hopefully all the bits of turf will hold out together.

it's a bit scary. increased privatization does just that.

world-weary