Nmherman on 1 Oct 2000 18:34:03 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Old mail

++

December 10, 1999

++

Recently there has been some debate whether the Genius 2000 Video First
Edition is net art.  More specifically, I have donated the tape to the
Rhizome Artbase on condition that I can prove the video is net art.

A couple of today's posts touch on the idea of defining net art.  In the
Digest, J. Bosma calls net art "art using computer networks as a medium, in
the sense that the network itself and/or its content (technical, cultural and
social) serves as a basis for the artwork."  This criterion is ambiguous,
since the Disney network uses computers, web pages, mailing lists, chat
rooms, designers, and bridges and routers, but it's very arguably not net
art.  The real distinction here is not between net activity that IS art and
net activity that is NOT art, but between art that uses paints and brushes
and art that uses computers as concept or technology.

So this portion of Bosma's definition can't really help us decide with
certainty whether the Genius 2000 Video is net art.  The second portion
however says more:  "I myself use a broader definition, namely: art that has
net.culture as its
basis. (This goes slightly further and also includes work that does
*not* directly use a computernetwork)."  If we add this to the mix, video
becomes potential net art instantly.  Any given video, even if it never gets
on the web, can be net art even if it relates to net culture on the level of
concept only.  (Hence Eryk Salvaggio's Colouring Contest.)

So if we use Bosma's thinking here, the First Edition is beyond question net
art.  Its basis in the "technical, cultural, and social" elements of networks
is obvious.  For example, during the shooting and editing process, I was
using the Walker's Shock list as both a source of ideas and a forum for the
work in progress.  (The Shock archives at ArtsConnected confirm this.)  I
requested video and text contributions from all Shock subscribers and
received quite a bit of input that shaped the process of creating and editing
the tape.

The influence of Shock on the video is fairly clear (which is why I put the
list in the credits).  I learned about C5 on Shock, and include several
references to their work in the tape.  "Genius 2000 is a chaos-based
data-mapping algorithm" is the voice-over for the C5 url; "Have you ever read
'City of Glass'?" alludes to Lisa Jevbratt's Stillman Projects in the context
of monotheism as marketing.  The tape also shows one participant, Ted Sawyer
(who, incidentally, sold a ceramic mask from his senior show at Lewis and
Clark to John Frohnmayer, the NEA director ousted during the Bush
Administration) reading aloud a text originally posted to Shock.  This text,
a post titled "Genius 2000 Media Action Update," is a request to then
Governor-elect Jesse Ventura for comprehensive media access and remains part
of the ongoing internet agenda of Genius 2000.

Being on Shock during the shooting of the tape also prompted me to request
footage from the Mashed Potato Supper, a CU-SeeMe project from 1995-96 in
which I held up a postcard of Durer's Adam and Eve to a webcam linked to
Scotland, and said "this was the first material act of communication, and we
all know how severely it was punished."  (The request for MP footage was
denied for technical and perhaps artistic reasons.)  An open request for
footage was posted to Shock several times prior to 1 January 1999, the
end-date for First Edition shooting.

Other elements of the tape have less direct linkages to the internet, but
deal with elements of net culture without directly using a "computernetwork."
 For example, during one part of the video I point at a camcorder taping East
Hwy. 80 in Oakland California and say "that's the internet, that's the
fucking internet."  In another segment, I tape myself surfing one of the
exhibitors on Shock, Robbin Murphy, and become upset about his "Project
Tumbleweed" in which he presents the idea of "a museum of me."  My videotaped
reaction to his site does not technically use computernetworks, but most
certainly comes out of net culture.  On an even less explicit note, the tape
contains a conversation (again with Ted Sawyer, now a successful glass artist
in Portland, OR) about whether the web contains oracular elements:  "A web
biologically has a center, and maybe this does too, interstices through which
all this has to move," to which I reply "I agree, the web could be a total
dystopia, no question."  The topic at hand was media control and the sharing
of power as a means toward the fulfillment of democratic ideals.  We arrived
at iconoclasm as a possible solution.