ricardo dominguez on 13 Aug 2000 01:35:15 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Fw: En;Jornada,Chiapas elections and the "dark past",Aug 09

DATE8/10/2000
TYPECORRESPONDENT REPORT
TITLEMEXICO CHIAPAS (L-ONLY)
NUMBER2-265340
BYLINEMICHAEL DRUDGE
DATELINEMEXICO CITY
CONTENT
VOICED AT:

INTRO:  Mexican human rights activists are expressing concern about the
situation in the southern state of Chiapas, where violence has flared ahead
of local elections on August 20th.  VOA's Michael Drudge has details from
Mexico City.

TEXT:  Fears of violence and voter intimidation have led Mexican human
rights advocates to launch an appeal for international support in the
run-up to the August 20th elections for Chiapas state governor.

The Mexican Commission for the Defense and Promotion of Human Rights is
calling on the United Nations and the Organization of American States to
join non-government groups in monitoring the situation in Chiapas.

The co-director of the commission is Paulina Vega Gonzalez.

///INSERT VEGA SPANISH ACT AND FADE UNDER///

Ms. Vega Gonzalez says the current conditions in Chiapas could jeopardize
the transparency and peaceful conduct of the elections.

She mentioned the actions of a paramilitary group, which recently expelled
about 90 residents and seized control of the Chiapan village of El Paraiso.
Several houses were burned.

The expelled villagers are sympathizers of the Zapatista National
Liberation Army, a rebel group that surfaced six years ago to fight for
Indian rights.

Hundreds of army troops and federal agents descended on El Paraiso
Wednesday in a raid against the paramilitary group. However, no arrests
were made and only one weapon was seized. Villagers said the paramilitaries
fled when they heard the approaching army helicopters.

Human rights investigators say the paramilitary groups are aligned with
wealthy ranchers and the Chiapas branch of the Institutional Revolutionary
Party, known as the PRI (pron: PREE).

The ruling PRI is facing tough competition in its quest to retain control
of the Chiapas governorship.  Polls show challenger Pedro Salazar with a
commanding lead over the PRI's candidate, Sami David.  (SIGNED)

NEB/MWD/KBK

10-Aug-2000 16:18 PM EDT (10-Aug-2000 2018 UTC)
NNNN

Source: Voice of America