RTMark Bag Authority on 10 Aug 2000 01:57:54 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> Re: AW: AW: Urgent inquiry for Paper bags!

RTMark believes it is too much to expect citizens--or "consumers," as
they are sometimes derogatorily called--to be ever vigilant, each a
processing mill for the reams of information that, even when distilled
by corporate watchdogs (of which RTMark is *not* one), could easily
take hours per week to sift through and understand.

People cannot be expected to keep on a first-name basis with the
latest important statistics, and exercise their knowledge daily,
sometimes at their own personal expense. Such an existence would
be enough to turn anyone into a jabbering wreck, or a cloying,
self-anointed saint. In any case, it would leave precious little
time for a fulfilling home life: policy-making takes time and energy,
far more than most people have.

Policy-making is what government is for, and sometimes it fulfills this
calling. In Europe, citizens decided, through their governments, to buy
bananas not from the criminal Central American regimes called Chiquita
et al., but from their former colonies in Africa, at higher prices.
This decision having been made, citizens didn't need to be confronted
with the daily choice of decent but expensive versus evil but cheap.
Unfortunately, the WTO has other plans, and democracy (and foreign
policy decision-making) is just in the way....

The European gas taxes are another example. Although never chosen by
voters, the taxes that make gasoline twice as expensive in Europe as
it is in the U.S. are quite consciously accepted and maintained, even
when there is no longer a strict need for them, out of awareness
that cheaper gas would lead to larger, more polluting cars. Imagine
if everyone, daily, were faced with the choice whether or not to pay
those taxes. The market would sort it out?

The choices have indeed already been made, often as not, or not made--
by governments increasingly in the clutches of giant corporations.
Often, indeed, the best we can do is fight, even while hypocritically
continuing to feed our addictions. Nothing happens overnight.